Windows 7 Reinstall windows on bitlocker protected partition

HHHHHHHHHH

Hi,

I want to do a reinstall of my windows 7 installation and I currently have bitlocker with usb key authentication(no tpm). So I'm wondering if I will run into any troubles if I just reinstall over the old windows as I would rather not have to format the drive.
What will happen. Will bitlocker automaticly be initialized in the new installation or will I have to activate it again?
Should I reformat the OSvolume and what will then happen to the hidden startup volume?
Anyone got any ideas cause I find no documentation on this at microsofts support???

Reinstalling Windows 7 with BitLocker and USB key authentication should be possible without major issues. Here's what you can expect in this scenario:
1. Reinstallation over the old Windows:
- If you reinstall Windows 7 over the existing installation without formatting the drive, the BitLocker protection should persist. However, you may need to re-enable or reactivate BitLocker after the reinstallation.
2. BitLocker Initialization:
- In a typical scenario, after the reinstallation, BitLocker will most likely need to be re-initialized or re-activated. This usually involves decrypting the drive and then re-encrypting it.
3. Formatting the OS volume:
- If you decide to format the OS volume during the reinstallation, the hidden system partition where the BitLocker startup key is stored should remain intact. This hidden partition is crucial for the BitLocker authentication process using the USB key.
4. Activation Process:
- After reinstalling Windows without formatting the drive, BitLocker might prompt you to reactivate BitLocker on the drive. You should be able to do this by right-clicking on the drive after the installation and selecting "Turn BitLocker on" to re-enable protection.
5. Backup Necessary Data:
- Before proceeding with the reinstallation, it's always recommended to create backups of important data to ensure it's safe during the process.
Since the information on BitLocker reinstallation specifics with USB key authentication can be scarce, it's a good practice to have backups in place before making any changes. This ensures that your data is protected regardless of any unforeseen issues that may arise during the reinstallation process.
It's advisable to proceed with caution and ensure your data is backed up before initiating the reinstallation process. Should you encounter any difficulties during or after the reinstallation, further assistance can be sought to troubleshoot and resolve any issues that may arise.

Back