Windows 7 Reinstalling printer when installed with Windows Update

shriba

I just went from XP to a new Dell Windows 7. I have a multi-function printer that used CD drivers on XP, but with Windows 7, I had to install the printer with Windows Update and a scan utility from the manufacturer's web site. All of a sudden after a month, I can't scan, so I want to uninstall/reinstall the printer. How do I do this when it was installed with Windows Update? I see a list of drivers in the DriverStore/FileRepository folder. Do I delete those so Windows Update can reinstall them, or were they already there when I bought the computer?

Shriber

Windows Update "updates" drivers. This means Windows 7 must have had [at least basic] drivers for your device already. You should be able to go into Devices and Printers from Control Panel and uninstall your device.

I recommend you visit your MFP website and look for current Windows 7 drivers there. Be sure to select 32-bit or 64-bit, depending on which version of Windows you have. If there are no Windows 7 drivers, Vista drivers will typically work.

When you uninstall a printer in the Devices and Printers dialog may give you an option to uninstall all drivers also. If it does, select that. Windows will probably try to reinstall its own drivers, unless you have turned that option off in Advanced System Properties, or perhaps being offline.

When dealing with printers, be aware there are right click options of Properties and Printer Properties. The latter is the Admin version of the properties.

Windows Update "updates" drivers. This means Windows 7 must have had [at least basic] drivers for your device already. You should be able to go into Devices and Printers from Control Panel and uninstall your device.

I recommend you visit your MFP website and look for current Windows 7 drivers there. Be sure to select 32-bit or 64-bit, depending on which version of Windows you have. If there are no Windows 7 drivers, Vista drivers will typically work.

I get that Windows 7 has the basic drivers, and that's what I installed it with, along with a manufacturer's scan utility (buried in the site of course); there are no drivers anymore. It worked perfectly, I had full scan function, everything was great. As I work out the Windows 7 kinks, I also noticed that Vista tips and downloads also work, so that's good.

One thing that came to mind as I'm struggling with this, is that I downloaded SmartDefrag from Iobit, and the problems started after a boot defrag. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Last night I was told it's not necessary, Windows defrag does the job well in 7. So, I think it messed something up ... needless to say, I uninstalled every scrap of it with Revo.

I know I can uninstall the device and drivers in Device Manager, but I'm so afraid I'll make it worse if I'm uninstalling basic drivers that I shouldn't be uninstalling ("will probably try" is scaring me more, coming from someone who knows this stuff). I didn't even know where Advanced System Properties was ... but, now that I found it, what should or shouldn't be checked?

While I was looking for that, I found System Information, and poked around 'til I found System Drivers. 4 of the Brother drivers were not "Started." I even printed a page while I was looking at them (the printer is fine) and they were still not started. Does this sound like it might be the problem?

That SmartDefrag might not be the problem, but if it is, I'm looking into a System Restore. I don't really get how it works, I'm reading up on it, but if I can get back to 5 days or so, the scan might work again...

Brother, like HP and the other makers like to foist all sorts of programs on our systems. They could be for OCR, or photo management. I try to never install them, if not needed. And you normally don't need them.

If the printer is "network ready" you may be able to log into the printer directly by typing its IP into your browser. That's how I run the scanner on my HP. The web menu is a bit basic, but that's all I need. Of course that is no help if that Brother does not support it.

I don't know that that defrag broke anything, but you are right, the one that comes with Windows (regardless your version) is just fine.

System restore rolls back system changes, when possible. It may be worth trying.

Back