Windows 7 Remapping Fn keys

cloggyjohn

Extraordinary Member
[ Solved ] Remapping Fn keys

Hi there,

As I use the copy/paste functions regularly, is it possible to map these to, for example, the F9 & F10 keys ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:
Seems like this might depend on your keyboard. You can check the Control Panel for a Keyboard icon and see if that panel will allow you do remap them.

There are also some 3rd party programs that allow you to remap your keys.
I use Autohotkey: Link Removed - Invalid URL

And to remap copy/paste to F9/F10 with Autohotkey you'd create a script something like this:

Code:
F9::^c

F10::^v

Last edited:
According to RandyRants website Posted on: February 07, 2012 at 10:01 PM by Randy
@mgm - nope. From the FAQ: "SharpKeys only remaps whole keys rather than a modified key. For example, you can remap Ctrl or C but you can't remap Ctrl+C to another key."

Or can I do it with the above code and, if so, how do I go about it ?

Thanks for any help

For example, you can remap Ctrl or C but you can't remap Ctrl+C to another key."

Or can I do it with the above code and, if so, how do I go about it ?
Yes, you can.

1st download and install Autohotkey from the website I linked to earlier. Then create a new text file somewhere and change the .txt extension to .ahk. Right click on the file you created and select edit script. Then copy/paste the code I posted earlier in the file and save it. You can then test it by right clicking and selecting run script.

If you want the script to run automatically each time you start your computer just create a shortcut for the script (or move the script) in the startup folder (C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup).

Hi Zirkoni - I don't know whether it's me ( probably ) or the system but I'm not getting what I expect. The only way to create the file was to first copy/paste your code into a txt file and then change the extension to ahk. If I then right click on it I get options to Open, Open with etc. but no edit or run script. Opening it with Autohotkey ( or rather Sharpkeys as it's actually called in the programs folder ) starts Autohotkey but I can't see how to proceed further. I thought the script might add its contents to the left-hand column ( Map this key ( From key)) but I don't see it. Any ideas ?

Where did you get the idea to use Sharpkeys? It's not the same program as Link Removed - Invalid URL <= click here and download the installer from the website, forget Sharpkeys.

[ Solved ] Re: Remapping Fn keys

Hi Zirkoni - Quite where Sharpkeys came from I've no idea, I clicked on the Autohotkey link in your original post, downloaded and ran the installer, et voila, Sharpkeys was installed. I clicked on the link from your new post and then on the Download Autohotkey link and, lo and behold, I got exactly the same installer file but running it this time did indeed install Autohotkey ! After running the script and successfully testing it, I moved the file to Startup folder, re-booted the system and am glad to report that all is well.

Many thanks for your help, not to mention your patience, much appreciated. Now if only I can get it to work in Linux Mint.... ( but I guess that's for a different forum ! )

Last edited:
Back