Windows 7 Remote Desktop Troubles

DrBowers

I want to be able to remote into the other computer on my network with Remote Desktop, but I'm having all kinds of trouble. both computers are set up with the same parameters.
I'm not using an RD gateway, network discovery is on, file and printer sharing is on, public folder sharing is on, I'm using 128-bit encryption, password protected sharing is off, and I made sure the correct port is open in my firewall. I don't know what else to do. I keep getting the same error message: "Can't connect to the remote computer... 1. Remote access to the server is not enabled, 2. The remote computer is turned off, and 3. The remote computer is not available on the network. None of these are true. Any help would be appreciated.

I figured it out...

If you are having this problem, or you can connect to the other computer but your user-name and password aren't letting you in, (and you know they're correct) try connecting to the computer's ip address instead of it's network name. Also, make sure your credentials are recognized by the other computer's MMC.

i am receiving the same message...

I can connect from my Win7 to my Vista but not my Vista ultimate to my Win7 Ultimate.. have triple checked port forwarding.. user access.. i am using the IP of the PC as i am to the vista.. any ideas?

You must have the exact same credentials on both computers. ex: Your username and password that you use to log in on one PC has to be exactly the same as it is on the other.
Also, I'm assuming that you have set both computers to allow remote access both to and from?.?.? And right under where you type in the IP address of the PC you wish to connect to(remote PC), it should have you trying to connect as *remote PC name*\*username*. (if you have not named the PCs on your network, you need to do this) right-click on "my computer" and go to properties, scroll down to where it says your computer names. It's easier if you make all the names the same. Also make sure you have both PCs on the same workgroup, if this is a home network, just name the workgroup "workgroup". if not, name it whatever just so long as it's the same on all PCs you wish to remote to. Try these things and let us know!

Dr.Bowers

still no joy

You must have the exact same credentials on both computers. ex: Your username and password that you use to log in on one PC has to be exactly the same as it is on the other.
Also, I'm assuming that you have set both computers to allow remote access both to and from?.?.? And right under where you type in the IP address of the PC you wish to connect to(remote PC), it should have you trying to connect as *remote PC name*\*username*. (if you have not named the PCs on your network, you need to do this) right-click on "my computer" and go to properties, scroll down to where it says your computer names. It's easier if you make all the names the same. Also make sure you have both PCs on the same workgroup, if this is a home network, just name the workgroup "workgroup". if not, name it whatever just so long as it's the same on all PCs you wish to remote to. Try these things and let us know!

Dr.Bowers

I am using the username and password for the PC that i am wanting to connect to,

I do use the IP address of the PC i wish to connect to, and the username of the pc user.. (the one i listed in users to access remote desktop)

They are also on the same network,

I have opened the ports on the firewall and also ensured that the firewall is open on both machines..
I can access the Vista machine but not the Win7 machine..
They are both ultimate. I am using the same principles on both PC
They are both connected on the same router.. both machines use windows firewall..
I have assigned both pc fixed ip addresses so no changes.. cant think of anything else..

please any ideas?

Are you trying to use the remote desktop feature or networking/sharing. If your just trying to set up networking and sharing with windows 7 you need to have the Windows 7 Home Network, Home group password that was given at install. If your trying to use the remote desktop feature, this will only work in 7 pro versions or above. The same with XP Os, you need to have XP Pro version. Or remote desktop will not work. This link may help.

Home sweet homegroup: Networking the easy way in Windows 7

Another helpful link.
Windows 7 HomeGroup: Networking Made Easy | PCMag.com

Last edited:
Bassfisher thanks but if you had read my post you would have seen i am running vista and 7 both ultimate.. I found the issue;... i could always connect to the Vista... but never the Win7.. as it turned out it wouldnt connect as the username and pc name i left as "Win7" i cou;dnt just change the user name so i created a new user and it connected.. when i tried to rename the Win7 named account it still didnt work..

When using misleading or wrong terminology it's not hard to go astray from what the OP is asking for. That's why I put forward the two questions as to remote desktop or networking/sharing.These are two completely different procedures. In the links provided it explains some of the differences. This makes it hard on our end hear as to ascertain which direction of problem solving to proceed with. Obviously I went the wrong way with your issue, my apologies. None the less, it was and easy fix for you and I'm glad you got it sorted out.

Back
Top Bottom