Windows 7 removing boot lloader/fdisk mbr?

paradive

ok, so..... a guy that recently did a reinstall and included Ubuntu.

now i have TWO boot loaders to deal with:
1. Grub (the linux one) and
2. windows boot loader

so i have to select "windows 7" in the linux one, then it goes to the windows one where i select "windows 7" again.
this is very annoying.

googling so far has taught me how to use bcdedit, but i don't wanna edit the menu, i wanna get rid of them completely (i've uninstalled Ubuntu) and have it like normal, where i can power up my laptop, walk away and have a smoke while it loads.

so i'm thinking of "fdisk /mbr", but wanna make sure that's a wise thing to do. will it retain the Windows 7 install?

Last edited:
another thing is... XP had a "bootrec /fixmbr" command that worked nicely.
but it's been taken away in 7.
is there an equivalent?

If you want to get rid of a boot menu item in Windows 7, use msconfig.exe to remove it.

If you are familiar with BCDedit, you can remove it there.......

The bootrec command has not been taken away, but it is not in a normal Windows 7 install. You either need to have the DVD in the drive to reference it or boot to the DVD/Repair CD to have access.

Last edited:
If you want to get rid of a boot menu item in Windows 7, use msconfig.exe to remove it.

If you are familiar with BCDedit, you can remove it there.......

The bootrec command has not been taken away, but it is not in a normal Windows 7 install. You either need to have the DVD in the drive to reference it or boot to the DVD/Repair CD to have access.

ugh. i don't have the dvd. someone else did the install.

how would "fdisk /mbr" fare?

Easiest solution might be to download and run EasyBcd, which has a facility to rewrite the MBR.

http://neosmart.net/downloads/software/EasyBCD/EasyBCD 2.1.1.exe

I have just changed the link, now to to the source. neosmart are taking action against some sites who are packaging this free program with other junk. It seems that it one case it even includes what could be classed as malware.

A revised edit once again! The situation has been mostly resolved. See here if you wanrt the full story:
http://neosmart.net/blog/2011/open-letter-to-cnet/http://neosmart.net/blog/2011/open-letter-to-cnet/

Last edited:
Yes. Open the BCD Backup/Repair Tab in the program, and you will find the option there.

You can download the iso file for your version of Win 7, then burn it to DVD (Click the iso file and choose Burn To Disk). This will give you a valid installation media to use in your repair attempt. In my case after I eliminated the Grub bootloader I put the DVD in the drive and chose Repair My PC. It automatically fixed my MBR.

The iso file is large, so will take a while to download. Burn it to disk at a slow speed (x4)

Last edited:
If you don't have the DVD, you can download it as Ted mentions, but you can still make yourself a Repair CD. If something goes wrong with your system, you will probably need one or the other.

Dave's EasyBCD suggestion will work also to remove the Grub loader. Make sure you get the latest version you can, and nothing earlier than v 2.

The actual command to set the MBR back to a Windows boot scenario is Bootsect.exe. If you use the /nt60 switch it will set the Windows 7/Vista boot scheme. This command is also on the install or repair media. I don't think you can use it with the F8 key menu, but I can't really remember right now.

I don't think fdisk works on Windows 7..more of an XP thing.

Yes. Open the BCD Backup/Repair Tab in the program, and you will find the option there.

well, the program successfully removed Grub.
that's good news. now i only have one boot loader to deal with.
but ideally, i could get rid of the windows one too (at least maybe set the timeout to zero).

ideas (not involving the dvd)?

What boot menu are you looking at exactly? EasyBCD can remove options for the Windows boot menu if you are showing 2 versions of Windows, or you can use MSconfig.exe. You can also set the visible timeout with MSconfig on the boot tab.

What boot menu are you looking at exactly? EasyBCD can remove options for the Windows boot menu if you are showing 2 versions of Windows, or you can use MSconfig.exe. You can also set the visible timeout with MSconfig on the boot tab.

the windows boot loader.
annoyingly, it's still listing Ubuntu as an option (i've thoroughly uninstalled it).
and i've done msconfig. it only lists Windows 7 as the only option, but i swear... the menu itself is displaying Ubuntu as well.
i've set the timeout to 3 seconds, so it's not all that annoying.
but still annoying.............

Last edited:
I would suggest you open an Administrative Command Prompt and type bcdedit to see if the Ubuntu listing is in the Windows menu. If it is, it can be removed very easily.

If you type bcdedit /? /delete you will be given examples of the commands. Keep in mind, copying and pasting things like the entry id saves a lot of typing in the command window.

If you want, take a picture of your BCD store entries and attach.

ideas (not involving the dvd)?
I don't want to jump into the middle of anything or interrupt anyone's train of thought, but if you could use a repair disk (not a full install disk) we host them for free here Link Removed due to 404 Error if it would help out at all.
Just saying...
Regards
Randy

Back