Windows 7 Repair UEFI install after destroying "MBR"

alphaamanitin

Hey Guys,

I recently installed Ubuntu on my second SSD, and must have accidentally installed GRUB on my Windows SSD. Now my windows SSD won't boot. This is not quite true actually. So here is what happens and system setup:
SSD0 124 gb- Windows 7 64 bit UEFI
SSD1 64 gb- Ubuntu 10.04 LTS x64 BIOS mode

Now the UEFI is set to boot windows boot manager, then DVD, SSD0 (Windows) and finally SSD1 (ubuntu). So here is what happens upon boot: I see text that says Windows is loading and a status bar down at the bottom, (like im booting from DVD even though im not), than I see the Windows logo. Then the screen goes black and Ubuntu loads. I didn't have any issues until I installed Ubuntu so I think I accidentally put GRUB on the SSD0 and broke the windows boot loader.

I tried to repair from my disk but it says that the disk version and the installed version on SSD0 are not the same. This happens whether I boot the DVD in UEFI mode or regular BIOS mode. Any thoughts or just reinstall? It isn't an old install so I won't lose too much, but still I would rather not reinstall.

thanks,

AlphaA

You are in an area new to most of us. But since no one yet has weighed in, I will mention some things from my research.

Linux seems to be more UEFI capable than Windows 7. When you installed Linux, did you set it up for a UEFI boot? Is your second SSD formatted as GPT and not MRB? Since I am not that familar with how this boot system works, it may have overwritten your Win 7 boot, but it doesn't appear to work like that. Maybe some information from the Linux reference will help.

Here is one site I found that might be helpful.

I am starting to pick up some information about the EFI booting system. The system I am currently testing is older and may not behave the same as new ones.

But one thing I have seen is that hitting a key during boot will allow you to boot into and EFI version of the Install DVD. On my motherboard it appears to be F10 and should be hit about the same time you would hit a key to get into the bios setup. At least I have now seen a screen on this system I have not seen in the 7 years I have had it.

I will know quite a bit more by Monday:)

Hey SaltGrass, I was booting in the UEFI mode of the Windows 7 DVD. I had so much trouble with UEFI booting and Ubuntu that I gave up and installed Ubuntu on the second drive using standard MBR. What concerns me is that Windows 7 wouldn't repair the boot portion of the drive. Anyway, I have given up and simply re-installed Windows 7.

alphaa

Sorry you had to reinstall, but could you tell me exactly how you installed Ubuntu? I will try to duplicate your situation this weekend and I need to make sure I have the situation correct. Steps should be as exact as you can remember.

I am sure there will be other folks coming along with the same problem as you and I am just trying to get some insight as to what might have happened.

I have been installing Ubuntu as many ways as I can. I only had one time when the Windows 7 system was corrupted and a Repair Install took care of that. Error was the bootmgr had to be fixed.

I have managed to load Ubuntu in an EFI situation by adding an EFI partition at the front of the drive. Doing it that way allows me to boot into Windows (Windows Boot Manager) or the drive with Ubuntu if I do so using the F8 key during boot to select a boot device.

I have also managed to dual boot if I installed Ubuntu non-EFI, as you did, and used EasyBCD to set up that boot.

I have been installing Ubuntu as many ways as I can. I only had one time when the Windows 7 system was corrupted and a Repair Install took care of that. Error was the bootmgr had to be fixed.

I have managed to load Ubuntu in an EFI situation by adding an EFI partition at the front of the drive. Doing it that way allows me to boot into Windows (Windows Boot Manager) or the drive with Ubuntu if I do so using the F8 key during boot to select a boot device.

I have also managed to dual boot if I installed Ubuntu non-EFI, as you did, and used EasyBCD to set up that boot.

Sorry for the late response. I have since discovered it is a problem with the ASrock 880G Pro3 MOBO. It simply will not boot UEFI Windows 7 from the SSD in the SATA 0 slot if the SSD with Bios Ubuntu is plugged into the MOBO. No idea why this is. No matter how I mess with the boot order, or remove all the boot order and manually select drives it will only boot into Ubuntu if both drives are attached. The weird thing though, is that if I select the windows SSD I see the text "Starting Windows" and then the screen flashes black and the log in screen for Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS pops up in less than 2 seconds. I can log into Ubuntu and it runs normally.

No idea what is going on here. I have emailed ASRock, but I doubt they will do anything.

AlphaA

Don't let me give you the impression a Linux install went without problems on my motherboard. I am noticing things like system clock problems, the Linux uEFI boot seems to restart the system prior to going into Linux.

The MRB install seemed to be better, but it does use the Windows UEFI Boot loader.

Back