Windows 8 Repairing a corrupt system image.

Using DISM to "Cleanup-Image" "CheckHealth" and then "RestoreHealth" I am at a loss on how to direct DISM to the "Source" CustomRefresh.WIM on my second computer which is on my LAN. I made sure that Windows Update is available through my firewall but DISM is unable to repair the image this way.
Can someone give me the correct path?

Can you give us more specifics as to how you created this recovery image? (did you use recimg?) Also what command line are you using, etc?

Okay. I upgraded one of my computers from 7 Home Premium to 8.1 Pro last week. Had trouble with a PCI-E card which turned out to be a defective PCI-E slot in the MOBO(had to perform several shut downs after lock ups) . On Saturday I had time to check to see if the image was healthy with the command "dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth".
After the scanhealth completed it gave me this "The component store is repairable. The operation completed successfully."
I then ran "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth". and the result is

"Error: 0x800f0906" The source files could not be downloaded. Use the "source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see http://fw.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=24377."

Here are the options to Configure a Windows Repair Source:

"You can use a mounted Windows image from a WIM file as a source to restore optional features and repair a corrupted operating system. For example, c:\test\mount\Windows. For more information about capturing a Windows image as a WIM file, see Capture Images of Hard Disk Partitions Using DISM.

• You can use a running Windows installation as a source to restore optional features by sharing the c:\Windows folder on your network.
  • You can use a Windows side-by-side folder from a network share or from a removable media, such as the Windows DVD, as the source of the files. For example, z:\sources\SxS.
  • You can use a Windows image (.wim) file on a network share as a source to restore optional features. You must specify the index of the Windows image in the .wim file that you want to use and you must use a Wim: prefix in the path to identify this file format. For example, to specify index 3 in a file named contoso.wim, type: Wim:\\network\images\contoso.wim:3."

I have connected the computers through my LAN and should be able to use the shared the c:\Windows folder from my second computer running 8.1 Pro also.

I need the command line to do this.

The attached file is what I found in the DISM Log for this error. I only include the warnings and errors that were listed.

Thanks so much for your help,
Ken

Attachments

• DISM Log.txt
    7.9 KB · Views: 485
I found this solution on "The Windows Club" web site and it worked for me. Here is what I typed as a command to accomplish the fix:Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:j:\winsxs /LimitAccess (J: is the drive I saved the winsxs folder from my second computer to)

"After saving the winsxs folder from a win8.1 64bit system that ran dism okay to my portable HD I used it as the source to run "Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:(path to source) /LimitAccess" on my problem PC (also a
win8.1 64bit system)."

Back