Windows 7 reverting from win 10 to win 7

unktim

I am trying to go back to win 7 ult from win 10.
My computer is a HP 8200 sff (refurb) with:
i5 3.2GHZ processor
8G RAM
1 TB HDD
The problem is getting rid of the win 10 partitions. Most disk wiping utilities either don't have partition editing capabilities or are not set up for the win 10 partition format.
Win 10 caused two costly crashes in one of my other computers. I like some of the features but it is still unstable and win 7 ult. has features that I really need at this time.
I know it can be done because I paid Staples techs a good sum to repair the machine after the second crash and install my copy of win 7 ult.

the system does NOT have support for wx so its not a surprise but I'd replace the 1TB hdd with a fresh (non-ssd) drive and install your w7 onto that as a fresh... (put it back in after the install is finished) no mess, no fuss and the old files | system can be seen after you hook the TB drive to the new install

I understand using a fresh HDD but I don't understand about putting the original HDD back. I am guessing that the new HDD would be the primary drive but the original will still have win 10 and it's partitions. Could the two drives work together that way?

I assume you don't want to toss it in the bin... yes the w7 system will be able to see the files on the old drive

you can also format the old drive to remove all the file and partitions once you have recovered what you need from it

Part of your problem here is that Microsoft only allows reversion from W10-->W7 for 30 days after you originally performed the upgrade to W10 on your PC. After that, it's problematic and that's why you had to take it to a Tech and pay to get it done.

The thing you need to check now after the reversion to W7 has been completed (such as Norway suggested), is that your W7 is Activated. If it's not, you did something wrong and may need to take it back to the Tech at Staples and pay to have him fix it. It's not as important as it used to be for W7, as Microsoft no longer produces weekly push updates for either W7 or W8x. W7 end-of-life's in 2020, so you only have 3 years of life left on that OS before it becomes an outdated dino like XP is now, fully prone to hack attacks as MS has had no security updates for XP since Apr. 2014. You'll have to move to something newer, W8x or W10 at 2020 or soon after. MS is continuing to produce updates on a monthly basis on W7 which you now have to install manually and won't automatically install for you AS IT HAS DONE IN THE PAST! :headache: MS is de-incentivizing people to stay on W7/W8x and wants everyone to move to newest Windows--more $$ in their pockets.:cash: Some food for thought, however, as your ageing W7 system is going to be targeted more and more by hackers trying to break your system up until the floodgates open in 2020 and MS completely dumps support for W7 as mentioned.:(

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Back
Top Bottom