Windows 10 Run 2 VPN's at Same Time?

Hermitkrab

Honorable Member
Hello again, guys. I'm wondering if running 2 VPN apps at the same time is acceptable or beneficial. I'm using the Opera browser, which has its own built-in VPN, plus I also have Tunnel Bear VPN installed, but not running at same time with Opera. I reserve Tunnel Bear for other, non secured browsers. Is there any extra gain in security by running Tunnel Bear together with Opera, or is the Opera VPN sufficient by itself? Thanks for your insight....Ed

There is little to no added benefit to running multiple VPNS, in fact it's probably hurting your speed or it's only using one of them anyways.

Running software-only VPN solutions is not as secure as using actual physical VPNs using one or more boxes. Using 2 different VPNs is not a typical method used by home users, but rather by business corporations for increased security as well as for backup purposes. Also, they often will employ 2 different carriers, one for each VPN. In case of a carrier outtage, the 2nd VPN carrier can be used to communicate remotely in a secure manner. Most home users are not going to pay the extra monthly charges for 2 Internet bills to run this kind of redundancy. :noway: Your use of 2 different VPN software solutions is not really doing what you think it is doing. Security gained is questionable, and since you are using both on a single carrier for your Internet connection, the redundancy piece is out the window. Running both on the same PC also provides a single point of failure, another issue you have. If you lose the Internet on your PC, then neither VPN can be run. It might be better to run 1 VPN on 1 PC, and then run the 2nd VPN on a separate PC. Long as you don't run them simultaneously, it shoudn't hurt your speed that way.

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Thanks. I now have a better understanding. based on what you two guys brought out, I'm gonna stick with only one VPN. suppose the theory is similar concerning firewalls and AV: you shouldn't run two together. :)

Well, almost! ;) 2 AVs cannot and should not be run together, or even installed on the same computer at the same time, even if one of them is disabled and the other one is running.:noway: They are like alpha-males in nature, think of how 2 male lions rarely will get along in a pride without killing each other, unless they are genetically related, and even then: well if you watch nature shows you get the picture there!:eek:
Firewalls are a different story; as you can run multiple firewalls on your home network; for example if you are using a modern Cable or DSL modem, most of those today include a hardware firewall as do most Wi-Fi routers you buy from Cisco/Linksys or Netgear for home use. You can then use a software firewall from WD (Windows Defender) included in W10 or most Internet Security suite products such as Norton, Avast, McAfee, TrendMicro, etc. Hardware firewalls are much better at stopping attacks from hackers or cyberpunks; there are so many software tools out there that can penetrate even commercial software firewalls such as stand-along products like Norton's Personal Firewall. Most folks who are home users have this combo of hardware and software firewalls in place.:)

Business or Corporate networks can have multiple levels of both hardware firewalls via appliance boxes such as Radius servers, PIX boxes, and Gateways, Bridges, and other network segmenting tools such as from Cisco or SonicWALL. These cost from hundreds of dollars into the hundreds of thousands of dollars. Last PIX box I bought years ago cost about $15k. These can be run in multiple layers of nesting in either serial or parallel fashion. Software firewalls in corporate nets are often layered as well, so the servers will be running Enterprise software firewalls, and the PC workstations (Clients) will be running additional Client firewall software. These are stitched together in many different ways to provide a labyrinth of protection to defeat most hackers and virus/malware attacks. So, in todays very common home environment, 2 firewalls are almost always present (1 Hardware, and 1 Software).

Cheers!:cheerful:
<<<BBJ>>>

The apartment where I live provides only unsecured, public wi-fi. My computer is protected by a Norton security suite, plus I use Tunnelbear Grizzly VPN, along with Chrome browser. So far, I like this setup.

I think it is not a good idea. I did the same thing when was looking for some VPN for Kodi. They can work with mistakes or even slow internet connection to the slowest speed. In general, I use VPN only for Kodi and can recommend you to take a look at the best software collected by vpnservicepro. It is better to use the powerful soft instead of using 2 simple VPNs at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom