Windows 7 Run as administrator problem

FurryWeasel

A website I use for work was giving me problems. I contacted the company's tech support and they said in order to use their service in Windows 7/ IE 8 I had to run IE as administrator. This does the trick but I don't want to have to go through the step of "running as administrator" every time I launch this web site. So... I set IE to run as administrator all the time but now every single time I launch IE I get a pop up message asking me if i want to allow this program to make changes...etc. Does anyone know how to stop this from happening and still run IE as administrator? I will have to set up other computers at my work to do this same thing and these extra steps won't fly with the real estate agents I work with. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium. Any help or ideas are appreciated.

The fact you need to run as administrator is very strange. How about asking them why you have to run as administrator and why they haven't updated their website to avoid this........

I will contact the company again and see if they have some other solution to this annoyance but they are very slow to make changes. All the agents have to use this website to get their forms and type them up so there isn't an alternative. Is it possible to run IE 7 and IE 8 on the same computer? Perhaps I can just try it out to see if it works in IE 7 and if so I can delete IE 8. Thoughts?

I don't know about your company, but if they need you to run as admin, they may need access to areas of your computer they should not have.

Are you using a company computer?

You might try adding the domain to the trusted sites.

"A website I use for work was giving me problems"

To clarify, you are referring to a website, and not your company's request to run as Administrator?

If the former, without being nosey, could you post the address of the website. I would certainly like to challenge their right, and reasons, to wish for that option.

I want to address several of the questions that have been posted to me in one reply:

Yes, I am using a company computer and all of the company uses this website to access and print forms. The website in question is Formulatoronline.com. We've used them for years and I have never had to run IE as administrator until I tried it on Windows 7 with IE 8. I have added the domain to trusted sites as well.

Yes, I am referring to a website and not my company requiring me to run IE as administrator. I have yet to try installing IE 7 on the windows 7 computer and seeing if I still have to run as administrator. I am hoping that will solve the problem. formulatoronline.com requires a log in and password to access it's features so I'm not sure what you'll learn from going there without those two things.

The site only works in IE. I WISH I could use in firefox or safari or anything but IE, but no. The real estate industry seems to be very resistant to change it's ways when it comes to requiring MS windows and IE for it's websites. Our MLS website (the site all the agents in the area use to search for properties for clients) is also IE only, one of the reasons why our agents can't move to the mac platform if they wanted to.

My contribution:
!. The website opens fine for me, in a couple of different Windows 7 installations.Of course, as you say, I cannot proceed further without a log in, but this is not an Administrator problem with IE.
2. At the moment, I don't think there is any known way to install IE 7 on Windows 7.
3."Yes, I am referring to a website and not my company requiring me to run IE as administrator." See 1.
4. I used https://www.formulatoronline.com/login45/login/default.aspx as the address. Does this tally with the one you use?
5. It also works in Firefox.

I am lost but think the security and permission problem is with your company and not Windows 7/IE8

Back
Top Bottom