Windows 7 Safe to delete nvraid.sys?

merlinx0057

Is it safe to delete nvraid.sys from Windows\Drivers? I am not using RAID in my system configuration at all - I have a single 1Tb SATA hard drive running Windows 7 32-bit Home Premium.

The Event Log shows:

Warning nvstor 129 reset to device, \Device\RaidPortØ, was issued

This CONSISTENTLY coincided with a 20 second to 2 minute to TOTAL freeze. Occasionally the Event Log would also list the following:

Warning Display 4101 Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered

After extensive research, I deleted nvraid.inf and nvraid.pnf from Windows\inf folder and rebooted my computer [at 3pm today]. Since then I have had zero freezes. But there is one disturbing occurrence, the Event Log now contains hundreds [1 every 30 seconds] of the following:

Warning nvstor 129 reset to device, \Device\RaidPortØ, was issued

Hence, the question: Is it safe to delete nvraid.sys?

Thanks in advance, merlinx0057

PS: all drivers [for everything that I need & use!] are up to date by Windows Update standards & those of the individual manufacturers.

Last edited:
No, not safe to delete.

Install the latest video card driver:

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Then update the nForce chipset drivers for your chipset too, from NVIDIA's site.

Post your crash dumps after copying/pasting to another folder then zipping.

They're in C:\Windows\Minidump

TorrentG ~ I trust what you are saying, but I HAVE the latest drivers. Why is RAID superimposing itself in my system?? It is supposed to be for concatinating small drives to trick the system into thinking it has large spaces. What does it want with my SINGLE large hard drive? This is driving me NUTS. ...and EVERY 30 SECONDS!?! ~merlinx0057

You can post the crash dumps if you've had any crashes, as explained above.

Or if no crashes, type msinfo32 in the start menu then press enter. File | save on the opened screen. Zip the saved file and attach to a post using the paperclip above where you type, in advanced mode reply.

I'll tell you what's needed after having a look.

TorentG ~ Thanks for your rapid responses yesterday. Here is the msinfo output you requested. ~merlinx0057

Attachments

• merlinx0057msinfo.zip
    74 KB · Views: 294
Wow, ouch. Really old Realtek HD Audio driver from January 2008. Oldest I've ever seen by far on Win7. Update that here:

Realtek

--------

Your nForce4 drivers are old but do not have updates, unfortunately.

--------

I would remove "What's my computer doing" from the start menu startup folder. Then I would use Regedit to delete QuickTime Task at
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

------

Reboot then open an elevated command prompt. Type the following then press enter:

chkdsk /r

Thank you TorrentG ~ I followed your latest advice ~ all seems well..there has been no further "raid" on my harddrive since those last actions. I would like to know what caused it though!! Thanks again ~merlinx0057

Back
Top Bottom