Windows 7 Same BSOD Daily, no minidump file

Phat Andrew

I just recently build this computer and since the beginning I get the same BSOD that does the exact same thing every time other then when it randomly happens. My computer first freezes for about 5 seconds then goes into the BSOD. The error code is a 0x000000f4 (0x0000000000000003, 0xFFFFFA800A911B30, 0xFFFFFA800A911E10, 0xFFFFF80002D83880). When the BSOD attempts a memory dump it never even begins and after about 20 seconds it just restarts. The minidump folder is empty, and BlueScreenView doesnt even show a BSOD happened.

After the BSOD restarts, my computer can never boot back into windows. It always says that a drive with an OS is not recognized and I have to completely kill the power to the computer (through flipping the switch on the power supply, not just turning it off) and only then does it boot back into windows.

I've searched around and the 0x000000f4 seems to a problem for several different things such as memory, HDD, video cards etc etc.

Everything is at stock clocks other then graphics card but problems still persists whether its overclocked or not.

I've checked the disks for errors.
I've tested the memory with mem test and no errors have come back.
I've reset the CMOS battery.
I've reseated the RAM.

My system specs are:

Motherboard: P8P67 (pro rev3.1)
CPU: I7-2600K Sandy Bridge
Video Card: GTX285
RAM: 8gb DDR3 Gskill (2gb stick each slot)
SSD: OCZ Vertex3 (Windows 7 64bit)
HDD: WD Cavier black 1TB

Other Info:
It does tend to happen when firefox is open, but it also happens when its not. Firefox randomly freezes a lot, so i don't know if its not co operating with 64bit or possibly a memory leak as firefox is heavy on resources, but I never had these problems when I was on 32bit.

Hi Phat Andrew and Welcome to The Forum.

Run the correct Hard Drive Diagnostics Tool for your HDD.

To Enable Minidumps:

1. Go to Start, in the Search Box type: sysdm.cpl, press Enter.
  2. Under the Advanced tab, click on the Startup and Recovery > Settings... button.
  3. Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked.
  4. Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box (the 256kb varies).
  5. Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump.
  6. OK your way out.
  7. Reboot if changes have been made.
The *.dmp files are located at C:\Windows\Minidump. Until a *.dmp file is generated, the Minidump folder may not exist.

I made those changes and saved, so maybe now it generate a minidump. The folder existed already.

I tried the tools, and used the segate and WD one, and both of them could not even detect my drive. I burned with imageburn. I use the Caviar as storage so I know it works.

Still getting the BSOD. When I run a disk cleanup there is over 500MB of system error memory dump files, but no mini dumps. The BSOD happens, but never actually shows a dump even starting, it just freezes (I've let it sit in the BSOD over an hour, a % never even happened) Anyone got any suggestions? Is it a bad memory stick? I've ran memtest and no BSOD's happened.

Can you do anything after the system freezes, such as hit CTRL+ALT+DEL and then start task manager?

Do you see any persistent error or warning messages in the event viewer?

Usually after the system freezes or the specific program freezes, it goes into the BSOD, and then it gets stuck on there, and doesnt dump. I have no idea what to do. I have a feeling its faulty ram, but Memtest ran and everything went all.

Can you, just for peace of mind, download and run Link Removed - Invalid URL in Safe Mode.

I will run that right after this post. A couple days ago I switched my SSD to intel instead of marvel and the BSOD's have stopped. Now instead of the BSOD's, my explorer (I think) is crashing. It hangs for about 30 seconds, everything locks up, the start bar disappears sometimes and right clicks don't function. After 30 seconds it either recovers, or it doesnt and when it doesn't i have to power down and power back up. So its either BSOD's or explorer crash/hang. Unbelievable...

Back