Windows 7 SATA HDD Raid and Windows 7 ???

MistyEyes

Hi!

I am still running XP, and before I even think about installing Win 7 I need some info please.

I have SATA HDD system, and the way that the tech set up my XP installation, I NEVER had to hit F6.
He did something to overwrite the installation of the raid drivers, I do not know what though.
I think he made the system with it was a non SATA system.

NOW that leads me to what will happen when I try to install Windows 7 on the SATA system.
Are raid drivers necessary, will this 'trick' still work?
I have never and have NO clue what to do with F6 and raid ... OUCH!

If no one has a clue, where would be the best place for me to get information on this.
also ... The tech guy is no longer available either :(

ok first we need to know is the raid array on an onboard SATA controller type or an add in card

Raid is setup in the bios not in the operating system so you can go ahead and upgrade to windows 7 dont forget though to reinstall all motherboard and bios drivers. go to the maker of the motherboard's website and download new motherboard and bios drivers for win 7, 32 bit 0r 64 bit whichever you install

Raid is setup in the bios not in the operating system so you can go ahead and upgrade to windows 7 dont forget though to reinstall all motherboard and bios drivers. go to the maker of the motherboard's website and download new motherboard and bios drivers for win 7, 32 bit 0r 64 bit whichever you install

I checked, there are NO raid drivers in my bios set up :)
WHEW!
Thanks lots!
It's been so long I totally forgot about that!

No there ar no drivers for raid in the bios but if the raid controller is on the mother board that is where you will set it up.. then you will install the drivers for mother board into windows. If you have an external raid set up of course the former does not apply.

If you forget what it is that you have forgotten it follows that you now remember it; I think:confused:

To add a little to what's been already said:

your motherboard manual should mention if the motherboard has RAID controller.

If you're doing a clean install, you should first set up your SATA hdd's in a RAID.

Then boot from 7 DVD installation and follow the instructions, windows should automatically recognize your RAID.

In rare cases, you may need to download the most up-to-date drivers from the motherboard manufacturer, then load them on a flash or CD/DVD drive and try to get Windows 7 to detect the RAID, during custom installation it has an option to load drivers . As mentioned in this post.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

RAID types (you want RAID 0):

Standard RAID levels - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Back
Top Bottom