Windows 7 Scan document to PDF

This is what I'm doing, and it's a drag. So, if there is a better way, I'd like to know about it.

I have a 7 page document, with graphics, that I want to save to my harddrive as a pdf file. I right click the printer/scanner that I have, and select "start scan", then click the button that says "scan" and wait for the printer to scan. Then I enter the document title in a window called "tags". It ends up being the folder name. I close the window that opens showing the page in the folder. It opens the folder for each page, and I don't need 7 windows open.

I turn the page over to page 2, and repeat all of the above, except I can pick the tag/document title/folder from a drop down of recent entries.

When all 7 pages are scanned, then I insert them into a word document with no margins (they exist inside the scanned images of the pages). Then I print the word document as a pdf.

Any suggestions for me?

What printer/scanner do you have? I have a Kodak printer/scanner and the software that came with it will allow me to scan all 7 pages and save them as a pdf file.

If the software that came with your scanner doesn't have this ability then there are commercial packages that will. I personally don't know of any free software to do this although it's possible some exists.

This is what I'm doing, and it's a drag. So, if there is a better way, I'd like to know about it.

I have a 7 page document, with graphics, that I want to save to my harddrive as a pdf file. I right click the printer/scanner that I have, and select "start scan", then click the button that says "scan" and wait for the printer to scan. Then I enter the document title in a window called "tags". It ends up being the folder name. I close the window that opens showing the page in the folder. It opens the folder for each page, and I don't need 7 windows open.

I turn the page over to page 2, and repeat all of the above, except I can pick the tag/document title/folder from a drop down of recent entries.

When all 7 pages are scanned, then I insert them into a word document with no margins (they exist inside the scanned images of the pages). Then I print the word document as a pdf.

Any suggestions for me?

As Strollin suggested, first check your printer documentation to see if it will directly save the scans as a pdf. Some enhanced graphics viewers, like Irfanview (free), can accumulate multiple scanned images and save output as pdf format, but I'm not sure if Irfanview can save a multi-page pdf. There is a lot of freeware to explore. As far as using Word, you can sort of save a step if you are using Office 2007 or later. You can directly save the file as a pdf (no need to print to a pdf driver). From the Office button in the upper left corner, click on Save As and then PDF. Another option: use a program like Irfanview in "batch" mode to save each page as a pdf (one automated step handles all of the scans). Then use a web site like www.ilovepdf.com/merge_pdf (a great free service, very intuitive), to merge the pdfs into a single document. That will save opening and pasting each scan into a Word document.

Back
Top Bottom