Windows 7 SD Card Reader (Laptop) Not Responding

Hodder19

Hey guys,

New to the site, I believe this is the appropriate place to post this. If not, I'm sorry, and Mod's feel free to move it.

Anyways, I had another Hard-drive installied in my Toshiba laptop. My friend, who done the work for me, decided to put Windows 7 on it. It seems to be a great OS, but I'm having one problem. My built in card-reader doesn't respond when a card is inserted. I searched some threads, and tried some suggestions, but to no avail. Anyone car to help out? Thanks in adavance,

Hodder

Hi Hodder19,
I should imagine that unless your friend installed them that you'll be missing the necessary drivers.. These will be available (or should) at your laptop makers website. If you post your laptops make and model i'll have a look for you..:)

I have A Toshiba Satillette A100-TA4, you'll only be able to find it on Toshiba.ca

I had a look earlier today, but there was nothing for windows 7 on there, just Vista and XP. I was going to try a few, but I really couldn't make heads or tails of it. I would really appreciate it if you could source the driver for me, I use this reader a lot! Thanks,

Hodder

Ok.. I did have a look and your right. Only drivers for XP and vista which is what is to be expected... What you'll have to do is use the vista driver until as such time one for 7 appears. This normally isn't a problem and to help it further you can always install it under 'compatibility mode'..

You can download the drivers here: Link Removed due to 404 Error

Ok, this may seem really basic, buit how do I set that driver up? I downloaded it, hit the setup.exe, and it said it installed sucessfully. However, I still have no action when I insert the SD card. It didn't prompt me to restart the computer or anything, do I need to do that? Thanks again.

Yup, try rebooting see if that helps.. If it doesn't, check the Device manager and see if it's showing up in that..

Ummm, anychance I can get a how-to on a reboot? :redface:

I'm seriously a huge newbie when it comes to doing anything semi-advanced with a computer lol.

Rebooting is basically turning the computer off and on again...

Did you check Device manager like I asked? If you don't know where that is, look under control panel or type it into the search box in the start menu..:)

Nothing in the device manager when the card is inserted, so it's not even picking up on the fact that it's in there.

The only other thing I can think of suggesting is you try the Toshiba forums? I had a look and they have a section specifically for your machine....

Toshiba Support Forums: Satellite A Series

Sorry I couldn't be more help...

Edit: Would you mind posting a screenshot of your Device manager?

Thanks for the refferal. I've posted in two sections over there, these guys seem to know the Toshibas quite well, so hopefully it'll yeild an anwser. In the meantime, here's 2 screen shoots for you:

Device Manager
B]

Device Screen
B]

Thanks for that... I think I can see your problem. If you notice you have a yellow flag by 'mass storage device' which usually is a SATA controller or such like. In your case I'm not too sure though as your using your HDDs without any problems.. Also a SD card is a kind of storage device so if we can find that driver then hopefully it'll prove the fix...

I'll do some googling.. brb.

This might help: Download drivers:

You'll have to look through the drop down lists as when I do it and then post the results it just gives the same page every time.. Try the flash media driver and then anything to do with SD cards I guess...

Last edited:
The flash media driver is from Texas Instruments, so i can't see it doing any good. I also can't find my model laptop on that site (it's Euro). I found one for XP on the Canadian site, but when I hit setup, it won't install properly. Any other ideas? You're a huge help!!!

The XP Driver worked!!!!!!!!!! Thank you so much, you have no idea how happy I am!!!!! Now, if i can get the hotkeys working, I'm set!

Thanks again.

The flash media driver is from Texas Instruments, so i can't see it doing any good. I also can't find my model laptop on that site (it's Euro). I found one for XP on the Canadian site, but when I hit setup, it won't install properly. Any other ideas? You're a huge help!!!
Did you say Texas Instruments? That is the maker of builtin SD card readers used by many notebook manufacturers.

Below is a link to a Ti SD cardreader driver that worked for me.

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Use the ftp link.

This works for the Texas Instruments PCIxx12 integrated flash media controller

To be sure D/L this neat utility, use the free standalone version of SIW

SIW | Download

After D/L click on the SIW.exe to run it, no install needed.
In the resulting window expand hardware and choose PCI devices.
This will show all PCI devices, if you have the Ti device you should see something like the screenshot below

The red arrow on the left points to the PCI entry and the one on the left shows the Ti devices.
This driver works for the SD cardreader (including the new SDHC high cap. cards) as well as the PCMCIA card slot and Firewire.

I know this is from the Acer site but it should work on any machine using the Ti device.

Try it I don't think it can hurt.

Last edited:
The XP Driver worked!!!!!!!!!! Thank you so much, you have no idea how happy I am!!!!! Now, if i can get the hotkeys working, I'm set!

Thanks again.

Phew!...Glad to hear it :)

@ fjgold, thanks for the support. :D

Back