Windows 7 Search won't work in "computer" (my computer)

Empyreal

Firstly hi to everyone here on the forums. :)

My problem is when I go into computer (my computer) the search in the top right isn't working from within this window! If I click to go into an individual drive the search will then work from within there on the individual drive. When I try to search from my computer I don't get any error(s), it doesn't do anything, and the word / letters I type in remain in the box but nothing happens when I press enter. I have tried several things / searched for many solutions over the course of months with no luck.. the only fix i've been able to come across is restoring my computer to factory conditions, but I keep accidently messing it up somehow and have no idea what the source of the problem is so I can avoid it. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Are you sure you've been waiting? Because it does take a while to search your whole computer.
Also do a system restore before this problem started happening.
Thus, do a system scan with Malwarebytes and AVG and download and run CCleaner too.(this might solve your problem)

The search function should open immediately - possible delay if you have a low end machine, of course, but not very probable if you have computer that's capable of Windows 7 in the first place. Like mentioned before, the search itself may take some time, even minutes.

But with fundamental problems, as first aid, you could check this: Problems with windows 7 explorer search - Microsoft Answers

Last edited:
So you are using the start menu and selecting "Computer" to open an explorer window. What does it show in the path window and the search window before you type anything?

You are running as an Administrative user and not a standard user? Don't know if it matters, but just checking.

Back