Windows 7 secondary hard drive not showing in my computer

watersa8

Hey basicaly im a noob when it comes to win 7 not had a need to use windows for a while but recently had the urge to game on my pc again

I have a 250gb hard drive which i have windows 7 and ubuntu installed onto and a 1tb and a 1.5tb hard drive formated in ntfs(from when i ran mainly xp)

The disk drives dont show up in my computer but they do show up in disk management however they show as black(unallocated) despite the fact i know that is is allocated and has stuff on which i can still access via ubuntu and i cant assign them a label i know that they definatly work and are in ntfs format as i double checked this through ubuntu im sure its a simple fix but googling hasnt seemed to have turned it up yet :s

Thanks in advance

I am a little confused by your post. Are you saying you have Ubuntu installed on an NTFS formatted drive?

A drive formated as SWAP or EXT might show up as unallocated. In addition to that, you may have empty drives set to not show in Computer.

If you could, perhaps you could take a picture of your Disk Management window and attach it using the paperclip. Please try to label what partition is what.

Right the full setup is
HD0 is a 250gb drive with 100gb ntfs for windows 7 10gb swap and the rest is ext4 for the ubuntu distro
HD1 is a 1Tb drive formated in ntfs with data on which can be accessed via ubuntu and ubuntu disk manager confirms its ntfs but win 7 reads as unallocated space
HD2 is a 1.5Tb drive formated in ntfs with data on which can be accessed via ubuntu and ubuntu disk manager confirms its ntfs but win 7 reads as unallocated space

I think webscaper is correct and it probably is the mbr which has been affected and because ubuntu does not need this information to mount the disk it can still access it ok ive played with mbr partions before when messing around with grub and know its not the best of ideas so ive ordered another hard drive and will just transfer the data to that and reformat the drives

thnx for ur help and thoughts tis not an ideal soloution but atleast i know the best way to solve it now and well more storage space is always useful :p

It might be useful for you to download the bootable version of Partition Wizard and look at the drives with it outside of Windows. Maybe something would show up that the Win 7 Disk Management can't see.

Back