Windows 7 Self-test Status Value: 7 (completed with the read element of test failed)

eirigance

I'm not sure why this came up?

Also if I just boot it normally I get a picture & it freezes? 2011-09-07_20-03-30_3.jpg2011-09-07_19-57-11_513.jpg

Last edited:
eirigance:
Hello and welcome to the forums.
It seems you are being alerted to a potential issue with your hard drive by SMART (Self Monitoring and Reporting Technology). My immediate suggestion would be to backup all your critical data now and replace the hard drive with a new one.
Regards
Randy

Additionally you may want to run the manufacturer's proprietary software tools for your specific hard drive. Which may help you determine the issue as well as provide information for any warranty claims.
Since it looks like a Seagate try here | Seagate
If I'm incorrect use google to find yours.

Sorry this looks all weird. I did it from my phone, now I'm @ home. I don't need any of the Data on the HDD. I just want to salvage it & not have to buy a new one :( I tried to run the Windows7 install disc to reformat/clean the HDD, but after it loads windows setup files it just stays on a black screen? I looked on Seagates website & it says there's like a manual way to do it, but it takes hours. I was hoping maybe someone has done this before, or knows of a quicker fix ? Thank you for all the input.

Sorry this looks all weird. I did it from my phone, now I'm @ home. I don't need any of the Data on the HDD. I just want to salvage it & not have to buy a new one :( I tried to run the Windows7 install disc to reformat/clean the HDD, but after it loads windows setup files it just stays on a black screen? I looked on Seagates website & it says there's like a manual way to do it, but it takes hours. I was hoping maybe someone has done this before, or knows of a quicker fix ? Thank you for all the input.
I'm sorry as well, as there is not likely to be any easier or faster fix available. In fact there is likely no fix at all and without more in-depth analysis of the drive to determine the extent of possible errors you're likely to remain in your current holding pattern and any use of the drive to host an operating system or data will continue to produce issues. I use a program called SpinRite but unfortunately there is no free version that I know of for the program, however the Seagate Seatools product will likely at least perform well enough to produce an error that may likely support a warranty claim and possibly get you a new drive from the manufacturer provided it has warranty time left. I wouldn't trust the drive myself as these types of errors are likely to return and even if you use a product to mark the areas as bad so no data is written to that section of the drive, depending on what's causing the errors they can reoccur on other areas in short order.
Good luck, but my original recommendation still stands, replace the drive with a new one and take advantage of any warranty through the manufacturer if available.
Regards
Randy

Back
Top Bottom