Windows 7 Serious Bug in Windows 7 x64

clown_abhi

Hey Guys,

I installed Windows 7 x64 today and when i opened the system information tool, it shows 3.25GB usable.
So, i checked with task manager and it shows the same 3326(3.25) to my surprise.

How is this possible on a x64 OS?
Memory mapping is on 32 bit if i am not wrong...
Have been using Vista x64 for the last 1 year or more and never faced this issue and was able to use full 4GB RAM, so no BIOS issue.

If i go to Msconfig > Boot > advanced option > Maximum memory > change it to 4088 from 4096 or any other value and restart,
The RAM is detected now as 3.25GB.
This was not the case with Vista x64.
If i leave it unchecked, 4GB RAM is again detected and used properly.

This is an issue for those having Hauppage PVR-150 and planning to move to Windows 7 x64, since this hardware like many others needs a change of usable RAM to 4088 which could be set here and then the tuner card worked...(This used to work in Vista x64)
But now, with this bug, Maximum Memory option does not work properly in Windows 7 as it used to in Vista.
So, Hauppage PVR-150 just won't work in Windows 7 x64 anymore...
Link Removed due to 404 Error

Guys, if anybody has a workaround, plz help.

Thanks for the quick reply...

But the first 2 links are the same and people who have posted there don't yet know the trick of changing the Maximum Memory in x64 systems to 4088 which will make it less than 4GB and PVR-150 is happy and works.

The next link is for someone who has never used x64 OS and moving from a x86 system who'll need the BIOS switch etc. But, i have been using Vista x64 since last 1 year and was using 4GB RAM which was usable...

Plz see my post in detail. It says why the problem arises and why it is a bug in Windows 7(Since it used to work fine in Vista and we could change the memory to any number we want but not here in Windows 7)...

This was taken from official Hauppage web site:

I'm sure your system is a Media Center, correct?

Note: Currently, the WinTV-PVR-150 and WinTV-PVR-500 receivers used with 64-bit versions of Windows are limited to less than 4GB of memory.

Windows Media Center Support for Hauppauge WinTV products

Exactly, dats why we changed the Maximum memory option in Vista to 4088 which made the Hauppage see the RAM as less than 4GB and hence the card runs fine with a loss of just 8MB memory rather than losing 750MB by going for x86. :p

In Windows 7, this memory setting option is not working due to some bug and hence we would be unable to run this device...
Just hoping Microsoft will fix this before releasing the final version or an update...:)

Hi there
the amount of RAM won't effect the PVR device -- the video card is using up some of this RAM.

There's a lot of info about hauppage devices and drivers on their Forum here

My device is an HVR 1110 (DVB-T type device) works fine (and also works in WMC). Using W7 build 7100 x-64. Install the wintv software in VISTA SP2 compatability mode. You need the RC (7100) to get this option.

Hauppauge UK Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Cheers
jimbo

Hi there
the amount of RAM won't effect the PVR device -- the video card is using up some of this RAM.

There's a lot of info about hauppage devices and drivers on their Forum here

My device is an HVR 1110 (DVB-T type device) works fine (and also works in WMC). Using W7 build 7100 x-64. Install the wintv software in VISTA SP2 compatability mode. You need the RC (7100) to get this option.

Hauppauge UK Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Cheers
jimbo

No guys, u are not getting it.
Ok, forget Hauppage card for some time. I am on Win 7 RC, so its the updated and latest one for sure.

Take ur case, do u have 4GB RAM or anyone who has 4GB RAM with Windows 7 x64 installed.

Change the Maximum memory to anything other than 4096 or even 4096 and apply and reboot.
U'll have usable RAM as ~3GB RAM, and this should not happen in x64 system.

U again uncheck maximum memory in boot options and reboot. U'll have 4GB RAM as usable again.

Hope u guys got what is the problem.

Hauppage PVR-150 is just something which is affected due to this, dats all. The problem is with Windows 7 x64.:p

We're just trying to help,

In your first post you say:

But now, with this bug, Maximum Memory option does not work properly in Windows 7 as it used to in Vista

and later in your posts, you say the same exact thing. If it doesn't work, why do you insist on using that method?

What harm could it do to take out a stick of memory as I suggester earlier.

Also, is this the official RC build from Microsoft?

And did you do a "clean" install, rather than an upgrade?

Well, i insist on using that method bcoz that used to work in Vista and that's the only way to make the tuner card work by limiting the maximum memory. No other workaround exists for this...No drivers can resolve this.

If i remove a stick of RAM, it will have 3GB RAM which would be just fine for the card to run fine but what's the use of it? I lose a Gig of RAM just for trying to run Windows 7 x64 properly!!!
Rather than this i can just install 32bit Windows 7 and be happy with the 3.25GB RAM it uses...:p

As i said whether Windows 7 64 bit uses 3.25GB or 4GB RAM depends on this single option in Advanced boot options...Ideally whether i limt the RAM to 4088 or leave it unchecked, it should show and use 4GB as total RAM which it is not doing...

Thanks for ur help buddy, but i think u are not understanding what i am trying to say. :frown:

What i want is to be able to enable this option so as to use any amount of memory i want or is there any other way to limit the maximum memory being used by my PC?

Its the official RC from Public Microsoft Website and i did a clean install, no dual boot or upgrade. I am not sure but i think this issue was not in the BETA but is dere in the RC.

What I should have stated was to remove the stick, see it that works, then put the stick back in to see if it still works properly.

By the way, I ran Windows 7 64-bit with 1 GB of memory on a cheap $399.00 E-Machine with 1GB of memory.

All onboard components also

And it worked fine with Dreamscenes, no jerky or slow movements in the animation.

What I should have stated was to remove the stick, see it that works, then put the stick back in to see if it still works properly.

Ok, i'll try this out once i reach home. :)

BTW, yes, Windows 7 is very good OS. It runs fast and is very streamlined compared to Vista...
And even it generated thumbnails for every file on my comp without even installing a single codec. :cool:

I don't think that settings changes anything in the OS other thna DURING boot though does it?

I read about a "tweak" to set the number of processors in the Boot section and I read it was only the configuration used to boot the OS, so if you had problems booting a quad core or something you could instead force it to use one processor.

I could be wrong but the section is called boot...

What is showing in your Task Manager for Total Physical RAM ?

oh and BTW, AFAIK the memory remap feature in the BIOS should be on if you have more han 3GB of RAM, I don't thik it makes any difference if the OS is 32 or 64 bit.

Last edited:
It's in the boot section.

Total physical RAM is shown as 3326 if the option i mentioned is checked, else 4096 if the option is unchecked.

Well, i tried removing and putting it back but it still has the same issue as earlier.

Will try using EasyBCD today. I think dat should resolve this issue of limiting RAM. Lets see...:)

Just wondering...Did it work when you removed the stick?

When i removed it the memory was 3GB so there won't be any issue. If i plug in the 4GB and then try changing it, problem starts.
It might be possible that the problem might happen with 3GB also, but i didn't check...

With the stick removed there is no meaning in testing whether this thing works coz i could directly go for x86 OS.
I removed the stick with the option in Boot checked for Maximum Memory and then rebooted and then attached the RAM and then rebooted. At the end RAM was shown to 3326 from 30xx(while 1GB RAM was removed). So, the issue stays.

but with all teh sticks in and the box unticked (which is default) you're seing the full 4GB though yeah?That's how it should be... so I take it the card still doesnt work?

I know this doesn't help your situation much but I have Windows 7 RC1 running at home with 8 gigs of ram ( 4x2gb sticks) and windows 7 does see all 8 gigs.

Maybe what you installed is the 32 bit system and though it was the 64 bit?

I don't know what the problem could be in your specific case.

Sorry I can't help much. I hope you get it sorted out.

Back