Windows 7 Service Pack 1 updates

rpjd

What updates, as in KB's are contained within Windows 7 Service Pack 1 bundle? I have a partial fail on the install of Service Pack 1, one of the updates KB 976932 failed to configure after installation. It's 44 MB out of a total 533.1 MB.

There is only one KB for SP1. But it is divided into four separate downloads. There are other KBs that might be required to be able to install SP1, but I do not know what they are. I suppose you would have to show some failed and not installed later entries in the update history.

It may take some time (like days) for all the divisions to download and install.

What exactly are you seeing?

You can always download the full stand alone SP1. Look on MS Download Center.
Joe

You can always download the full stand alone SP1. Look on MS Download Center.
Joe
I tried that, didn't work. I need to figure out what/which downloads are part of Service Pack 1 so I can uninstall and attempt a reinstall if at all possible. KB976932 is 44MB in size, SP1 is 533.1MB.

After doing some investigating, it seems that Windows update KB976932 (44MB) is not a update contained within SP1, it is SP1, which means that it was contained within a bundle (533.1 MB) of updates for Windows 7 . So what I should be asking is, does anyone know what other updates are included in the bundle that contains SP1, or if not, where is the best place to find out? I want to uninstall them.

I've already exhausted that option. My problem may stem from the fact my OS is an upgrade from Vista and not a clean install, supplied in 2 CD's from the Manufacturer Toshiba. Bought it just prior to the release of 7 and took advantage of the free upgrade offer from Microsoft. Issues I'm having, Windows fails to install/recognise my android phone (Galaxy S) and the software for a new deskjet printer fails to install. I'm tempted to reinstall the OS again. Although the upgrade process did not affect any of my previously installed software (MS Office etc), I'm wondering if that would still be the case 2nd time around.

Check the attachments to try to confirm your assertions about SP1 update (KB976932).

You have a WindowsUpdate.log in your Windows folder you can check. Do a search for the KB number. If you want to copy the last few days of your log and attach using the paperclip, I will check it to see if I can see what might be going on.

You may have to copy the log to the desktop to open it. Internet connections or anything else, like anti-virus, that might block your internet connection can cause problems with Windows Update.

If you downloaded SP1 (KB976932) and believe it is only 44 MB in size, you may have downloaded the wrong thing.

Attachments

• SP1 bundle.txt
    548 bytes · Views: 359
  • SP1 Catalog.GIF
    SP1 Catalog.GIF
    100 KB · Views: 483
Last edited:
I've already exhausted that option. My problem may stem from the fact my OS is an upgrade from Vista and not a clean install, supplied in 2 CD's from the Manufacturer Toshiba. Bought it just prior to the release of 7 and took advantage of the free upgrade offer from Microsoft. Issues I'm having, Windows fails to install/recognise my android phone (Galaxy S) and the software for a new deskjet printer fails to install. I'm tempted to reinstall the OS again. Although the upgrade process did not affect any of my previously installed software (MS Office etc), I'm wondering if that would still be the case 2nd time around.

Sounds to me like a clean 'custom' install would be a your best option. Post back if you need advice on how to do a clean install using upgrade media.

I would like to try the option of doing a clean install using the upgrade media. I have two DVD's, Toshiba Upgrade DVD and Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade DVD. Can I save/copy my programs to a USB drive and copy them back afterwards, or do I need to reinstall everything? My issue is I have MS Office Professional, but I can't find the actual CD's with the Product Keys.

If you really want a good clean install then re-installing everything would be the way to go.

What is on the Toshiba upgrade disk, drivers?

See if you can find the key codes, if not, post back and we'll find a way round.

I would assume besides the Windows 7 OS, probably updated drivers. I am not familiar with key codes, whatever they are.

Hmm... I'm a little confused by the disk you mention. So did Toshiba supply this disk which contains windows 7 upgrade 'and' you also have your own win 7 upgrade disk?

Sorry about confusion, both DVD's Toshiba Upgrade DVD and Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade DVD were supplied by Toshiba.

If I copy my programs (MS Office etc) to an external drive (USB), can I copy them back after, or do they need to be installed from source, i.e. CD-ROM? The only programs I'm worried about are Office programs, can't find my original CD's.

Should you go the clean install path.....{ which often IS the best & indeed fastest alternative} make sure you read the steps below before installing SP1.

Win 7 SP1.
Generic steps to take before installing Windows 7 Service Pack 1.

* How to increase your chances of installing Service Pack 1 successfully.

Steps to follow before you install Windows 7 Service Pack 1 from the Microsoft Download Center
(Revised 05/12/11 - new steps added to help insure success)

* Update your device drivers to the most recent Windows 7 device drivers from your computer manufacture's support web site (for your specific make and model)

* Start by installing the chipset/motherboard driver followed by the remaining available drivers.

* Run the SFC /SCANNOW command. This will check and repair if necessary any critical Windows system files.
Click on Start/All programs/Accessories then
Right click on Command Prompt option and select 'Run as administrator'.
At the command prompt enter: SFC /SCANNOW

* Run the System Update Readiness Tool:
Description of the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista, for Windows Server 2008, for Windows 7, and for Windows Server 2008 R2

* Also: Steps to take before installing Win7 SP1
Steps to follow before you install Windows 7 Service Pack 1 from the Microsoft Download Center

Should you require more steps will be added on request.
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom