Windows 7 set maximised window size?

ushere

i have a new nvidia video card that allows me 3 monitors - however the first two are 'spanned' giving me a work area of 3840 x 1080 (which is perfect for my video editing), HOWEVER: when clicking the maximize symbol in the upper right hand corner the application window will spread across both monitors. is it possible, or is there any software, that will allow me to set the size of a maximized window? i also get all windows messages opening in the center of the two screens, very annoying and sometimes hard to read.... thanks for your time, leslie

You should be extending your monitors and not spanning them.

I too edit video and manage the "spanning" of the editing software within the software itself. Setup the software windows across the screens as you like them and save it as a preset. All NLE systems allow you to do this. (Unless you're using Windows movie maker or something like that, which I doubt if you use 3 monitors. :)

My third monitor is connected to my video card and not my graphics card.

hi zvit, using vegas pro (i'm a full time video producer), on a zotac 550ti multiview card. this allows me 3 monitors on the one card (cheaper option than a quattro), however, to do that it spans the first two, and leaves the third independent. works well for editing, prog over the two monitors (nice long timeline) and scopes etc., the third as full on hd monitor (use a spyder for calibration though, and still check end results on hr crt). it's when i'm not editing i find it annoying that progs will span across the two monitors if i click the full screen tab. of course i realise they have no idea what's going on, but it would be nice to somehow control this action - sort of max screen size in properties / shortcut / whatever. thanks anyway, leslie

thanks for that zvit, most appreciated. unfortunately they're not going to solve my problem since monitors 1 and 2 are 'locked' in span mode, the third is whatever i want, spanned, cloned, extended... for editing, and that's what this system is set up for it's great, so i'll just have to come to terms with 'spanned' apps when i hit maximise by mistake ;-( i might shuffle video cards around if i can find a single card that gives me 3 independent displays at once. problem is i need cuda (nvidia) for a couple of plug-ins i use, but would look at ati if i knew exactly what i should be looking for in a card ;-) again, thanks for your time and interest, all the best leslie

I don't understand why you say it's "locked" in... you should always have the option to change this in your graphic card setup.

I use NVIDIA for my dual monitor and my video card for my 3rd external output display. Think about it.

hi zvit ;-) well that's what i thought when i took the bait with this card - HOWEVER, in order to run 3 monitors simultaneously one needs to: connect two monitors to two hdmi outputs (thus ONLY giving a 3840x1080 'single' monitor space, ie extended), and another monitor to either dvi or display port. - see attached pic it's a bit of a 'con' as far as i'm concerned, even if it does work well for editing. the card itself is excellent (fast and really does speed up rendering and playback), so i'm now thinking that i might get a usb to hdmi adaptor and give up with the three monitors on the one card. i could of course add another cheapo video card, but there's very little space and doing so would probably block the ventilation, or at least obstruct it on the other card. so at $50 the adaptor is looking pretty good, and could also be used on my wife's laptop and desktop.... wow, you must be bored shitless with my ramblings...... thanks for the interest.

Attachments

• monitors.JPG
    monitors.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 410
Back