Windows 10 Set Windows pdate to Manal install

davidhk129

The intent of this post is NOT to open a debate on whether MS should or should not make Windows Update Automatic in Windows 10 TP.

The sole purpose is for users who still prefer to have the option of Manual update.

Go to regedit >
expand (click the pointer in front of ) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
expand Microsoft
expand Windows
expand CurrentVersion
expand Windowsupdate
click at Auto Update > right side, RIGHT click at AUOptions > click Modify > change Value data box to 3 >OK
Do the same to CacheAUOptio...
Exit regedit. You are done.

If you go to Windows Update and click at Change Settings, you will see the change.........

Image 7.jpg

Last edited:
My apology for the typo in the title section.
My " U " key is sticky and unresponsive unless I pay attention and hit the key hard.

The intent of this post is NOT to open a debate on whether MS should or should not make Windows Update Automatic in Windows 10 TP.

The sole purpose is for users who still prefer to have the option of Manual update.
Yes I have the same problem. I find there s no way to change the Windows Update settings on Windows 10, yet I set up my account as administrator. I don't know why Microsoft have disabled this option.

There is. David has the path a little wrong. "Software" after HKLM
Open Regedit and go to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update\
Change the AUOptions and CachedAUOptions to value to 1 - 4 :
1 = Never check
2 = Just Check for updates but don't download them
3 = Automatic download updates but don't install them
4 = Automatic download and install updates

This is a common hack, around the web, but, on my own observation, I believe it is only cosmetic and does not actually change the procedure. Not sure though.
Just adding this, checked a little while ago. I does seem to work:

Update.png

As MS are hoping for good feedback, based on the issued and unaltered original, they have probably deliberately excluded the possibility of the public downloading any other than what they prescribe - maybe?

Last edited:
Gpedit (Group Policy) is an alternative. It is merely a better graphical interface for changing items in the registry, as it is in plain text, and probably safer because of that. Unfortunately, in the previous OSs, such as "Home" ,which would, axiomatically, have been the very ones needing an easier method, it was not accessible.
P.S. Later. Just had a look at the link portion concerning amending the Registry. Not the way David has shown. It seems rather overcomplicated?

Last edited:
Well I don't know why Microsoft have disabled the option to change Windows Update settings. I always set myself up as Administrator yet I cannot change the settings on my own computer. That's one thing that will put me off of upgrading to Windows 10.

Why would that put you off Windows 10? It is far from release, and there are reasons, as I suggested, why it might be their intention not to allow ad lib updating

Why would that put you off Windows 10? It is far from release, and there are reasons, as I suggested, why it might be their intention not to allow ad lib updating
Most probably, but it's just that I don't see a need for us to go out and buy this. When we already have Windows 7 and if you want something a bit different I suppose then use Windows 8. It seems that Windows 10 is really another version of 8 but with a start menu. Then you can add the start menu to Windows 8 by installing Classic Shell.

Go to regedit >
expand (click the pointer in front of ) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
expand Microsoft
expand Windows
expand CurrentVersion
expand Windowsupdate
click at Auto Update > right side, RIGHT click at AUOptions > click Modify > change Value data box to 3 >OK
Do the same to CacheAUOptio...
Exit regedit. You are done.
If you go to Windows Update and click at Change Settings, you will see the change.........

View attachment 28253
You also can use the Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc)

Back
Top Bottom