Windows 7 Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition

KinnEisner

Greetings!

I recently bought an old Toshiba Sattelite C870-17U, so i decided to throw a new SSD into it and wanted to install Win 7 with an USB-stick i have.

But when i booted with the USB and went to install it, there was an message saying "setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition"

Iv'e been looking up on the internet for solutions, but all i could find was commands for CMD, some like:

1. select disk=0. Disk 0 is your destination drive, so be careful, all information on this drive will be removed.
  2. create partition primary size=xxx, where xxx – is the size of new partition
  3. select partition=1
  4. active
  5. format fs=ntfs quick
  6. assign
  7. exit
There was alot like theese commands on the internet, but none of them worked for me.
Then one told me to change ACHI to IDE, but that option is not in my bios.

Hope anyone can help me, or if anyone got commands that works, that would be helpful.

Greetings from Denmark, Kinn Eisner.

All you should need to do is select the advanced install option, just delete any existing partitions and then proceed with the install.

Make certain that you do a boot test on a different machine than the Toshiba laptop you are experiencing the problem with. If the W7 bootable USB stick you have does not work on a different machine, then you may have made the W7 USB stick incorrectly.:( What source did you obtain the W7 USB stick from? If you made the stick yourself, what source did you download the source ISO file from. Many of these links floating around on the web have outdated or broken links or worse, corrupted files. W7 download sites are going to be 8 years old next month, so many are not having maintenance done on them (except Microsoft sites).o_O

If the W7 USB stick works ok on a different machine, then your problem is not in the stick but rather the Toshiba laptop, and you'll need to fix that, as mentioned with the BIOS option settings. Also, what size is the SSD drive you installed? Many people try to save money by buying too small an SSD drive; such as a 16GB SSD; way too small to do anything useful. My new lappy I'm writing this post on came with 32GB SSD, and it's very tight to fit my daily driver image on this one. It's really a bit small, as it's the smallest practical size I've found. If you have something larger like a 240GB or larger, then no problem there.

The other issue could be you have a faulty SSD drive. Are you able to install W7 or other windows version on that drive successfully? If not, your drive could be bad. Take a look at my Troubleshooting Guide to test your hardware, specifically your SSD drive; if diagnostic tools return any errors, the SSD has failed and must be replaced. Here's the link to my Guide:Windows 10 - Unclickable Task Bar

Best of luck,:cheerful:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Back
Top Bottom