Windows 7 Share folder problems in windows 7 and windows XP

klwong

Hello,

At past, I had two machines running on windows xp with share folders connected with a router 'BRL-04UR'. Recently, one of the os has been changed to windows 7 and another remains windows xp.

Howerver, when I want to setup the share folder, I find problems. At windows 7 machine, it can see windows xp machine (named LAI) at network. However, when I double-click the icon, Windows cannot access '\\LAI', and after pressing 'diagnosis', it said ' DNS server has no response'.

At another side, windows xp machine can also see windows 7 machine (named User-pc). However, when I double-clicked the icon, it also said that 'cannot access \\User-pc, you may have no premission to access ....'.

I have followed the instruction stated here 'http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/share-files-and-printers-between-windows-7-and-xp/'. However, I still cannot get the right thing. I am sure that they are both under 'WORKGROUP' and I have turned off password protected sharing in windows 7 machine.

Please help~~

Share folder problems with windows 7 and windows XP

Hello,

At past, I had two machines running on windows xp with share folders connected with a router 'BRL-04UR'. Recently, one of the os has been changed to windows 7 and another remains windows xp.

Howerver, when I want to setup the share folder, I find problems. At windows 7 machine, it can see windows xp machine (named LAI) at network. However, when I double-click the icon, Windows cannot access '\\LAI', and after pressing 'diagnosis', it said ' DNS server has no response'.

At another side, windows xp machine can also see windows 7 machine (named User-pc). However, when I double-clicked the icon, it also said that 'cannot access \\User-pc, you may have no premission to access ....'.

I have followed the instruction stated here 'http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/share-files-and-printers-between-windows-7-and-xp/'. However, I still cannot get the right thing. I am sure that they are both under 'WORKGROUP' and I have turned off password protected sharing in windows 7 machine.

Please help~~

Did you leave the password protected sharing on or turn it off. I assume you are using the same workgroup name. Are you the user on both computers?

Can you type \\othercomputer and see the computer? Do you have any shares on the other computer?

Do you have "let Windows manage" turned on or off? You might try it off if not already.

Are you showing the Win 7 computer as a member of a Homegroup? What do you show for the network, a house or public bench?

Back