Windows 7 Share folders to specific computers only?

jacknicholson

Hi,

This is probably simple enough, but I've Googled the topic to death with little success.

I'm sharing a few folders between two computers (both Windows 7) on my home network. The folders are each set to be shared with "Everyone."

Let's call the two computers/users Jack and Jill. What I'd like to do: only allow Jill to access Jack's shares, and vice-versa -- excluding any other computers on the network. Is this possible?

(Note: When modifying the user permissions of the shared folders, users on other computers are not presented for me to choose. I've attempted to create user accounts on each computer, with names corresponding to the user accounts of the other, but that didn't work. Thus! my only workable option right now is "Everyone.")

We're dealing with 7 Starter, unfortunately, on both computers (so no homegroups).
Any ideas? Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
Right-click the folder that you want to share -> Share -> Permissions:

Yes, I have attempted that. My folders have been (successfully) shared with "Everyone," as that is the only way I'm able to allow Computer #2 access. However, in the Permissions settings, I am not able to add any users from other computers.

For instance, under the Permissions -- Add -- Select Users or Groups -- Locations pop-up, the only computer available to me is my own.

(Note that File Sharing is currently enabled and functional on all needed computers, so I suppose I should be seeing the other computers on the network when adding Permissions. Could this be a limitation of Starter? )

Last edited:
With your PC's currently in the network, folder/file properties > sharing > advanced sharing > permissions > add > locations - can you see other computers in the network ?

With your PC's currently in the network, folder/file properties > sharing > advanced sharing > permissions > add > locations - can you see other computers in the network ?

Nope, I only see myself on the list. The weird thing is, file sharing works just fine on my network when folders are shared with "Everyone." So I don't think anything is wrong with my setup. Think it's a Starter issue?

Back