Windows 7 Shared Directories Not Seen By Network Player

Dadda

Hi Guys,

I have a Zensonic Network Media Player which I'm having trouble getting it to see the Windows 7 shares and I believe the problem is with Windows 7.

Basically all the Zensonic unit does is look at anything on the network in the same workgroup and then shows any shared drives. I have the Zensonic set to the workgroup "WORKGROUP" and so is the Win7 computer (plus my Thecus N2200 NAS box and a WinXP computer).

When it looks at the network, it can see the Win7 computer but when I select it, it says "0 shares". I have no trouble with the WinXP computer for example and all I do on that box is simply right-click on a directory, select share, give it a share-name and it appears on the Zensonic computer.

That's why I think it has something to do with how sharing and/or networking is done in Win7. I've looked at various networking/sharing posts on various forums and tried different configs but it still doesn't appear.

Here's what I've done with a directory on my D drive where I record TV shows from my TV card - D:\Video\

I right-click on the "Video" directory and choose Share With --> Specific People. I've added "Everyone" and "Guest" with Read/Write permissions (I know I just need Read, but that didn't work so I tried both).

That didn't work. My next step was to right click on "video" directory and choose "Properties" and go to the Sharing tab. This tab currently shows "Video Shared" and underneath that it says network path is \\Office\Video. If I click on the Share button, it shows the same dialogue box where I have Everyone and Guest with Read/Write permissions.

If I click on Advanced Sharing, the next dialogue box has a tick in "Share this folder" with the Share name of Video.

The part that confuses me a little is when I right click on the Video directory and choose Share..., it has a padlock next to "Nobody". The other 2 options are "Homegroup (Read)" and "Homegroup (Read/Write)" but my understanding of homegroups is that it is for connecting other Win7 computers. My Zensonic unit is simply a Network Media Player.

Under "Change Sharing Options for Different Network Profiles" I have the following set:

Home or Work (Current Profile)

• Turn on network discovery
  • Turn on File and Print Sharing
  • Turn on sharing so that anyone with network access can read and write files in the public folder
  • Media streaming is on
  • Enable file sharing for devices that use 40 or 56 bit encryption
  • Turn off password protected sharing
  • Homegroup connections - use user accounts and passwords to connect to other computers
Public

• Turn on network discovery
  • Turn on File and Print Sharing
  • Turn on sharing so that anyone with network access can read and write files in the public folder
  • Choose Media Streaming option
  • Enable file sharing for devices that use 40 or 56 bit encryption
  • Turn off password protected sharing

What other settings should I have to look at?

Like I said earlier, it was never this difficult in WinXP to create a share and for the Media Player to see it. All you had to do was be in the same workgroup, right click on a folder and choose "Share" and decide what Share name you wanted to call it.

I am having another network issue relating to slow network transfers on occassions (ie 90% of the time I can transfer at 2-3 MB/s but the other 10% can slow to 26k/sec) but I'll raise another topic on that.

Regards

Max

This may be the issue Windows7 defaults to using NTLMv2 for network authentication and perhaps if your device is not compatible, you may have to adjust your Windows7 machine accordingly. Type secpol.msc into the search box or the run dialog box and adjust according to attachment and see if that helps.

Just an update. This didn't work. The Zensonic media player can still see the Win7 computer but when selected, it just says "0 Shares".

Just an update. This didn't work. The Zensonic media player can still see the Win7 computer but when selected, it just says "0 Shares".
Thanks for letting us know, and sorry that didn't help. Since certain policy changes are not reflected until after a machine reboot, did you reboot the Windows 7 machine after you made the changes?

Yes. I suspected a change like this might need a re-boot which I did.
Again, sorry that didn't help. You may have to resort to the dreaded full control to everyone. Try creating a new share in the root of C:\ call it anything you want, "Share" will work fine. Right click on the folder and choose properties, under the sharing tab click the advanced sharing button, check the box that says "Share this folder" and click the permissions button, the top frame should have the "Everyone" group so highlight that and in the bottom frame select full control under the allow column and ok your way back out of there. Now under the security tab, select the "Everyone" group again, (if it's not there click edit and add it) and again make sure that the everyone group has full control. Drop one of your media files into this folder, it should inherit all permissions from the parent container automatically. Then see if your device can see this new folder and it's contents. Keep us posted.

Hi,

You have asked me to create a share on the root drive, yet a little later, you mention the word "Folder".

Again, sorry that didn't help. You may have to resort to the dreaded full control to everyone. Try creating a new share in the root of C:\ call it anything you want, "Share" will work fine. Right click on the folder and choose properties,....

Just want to clarify, did you want me to create a new folder off the root drive and share this, or share the actual root level?

Hi,

You have asked me to create a share on the root drive, yet a little later, you mention the word "Folder".

Just want to clarify, did you want me to create a new folder off the root drive and share this, or share the actual root level?
No just the folder, not the whole drive.
EDIT: When I said create a new share in the root of C i meant to create a new shared folder. Sorry for the confusion

Last edited:
Hi,

Sorry for the delay getting back to you. Unfortunately this did not resolve the problem.

It wouldn't bother me so much if it wasn't for the fact that I occassionally seem to have slow transfer speeds to my NAS box for which I've raised a separate thread. Sometimes I've recorded a show, and want to watch it and so I try to transfer it to the NAS box (which the media players obviously isn't having any problems seeing those shares) but the slow transfer speeds means that it will take hours before I can watch it or sometimes it seems to "lose" the mapped drive (ie a message comes up after a while saying the mapped drive is inaccessable, even though I can click on the drive and see the contents, or use the media players to watch a show).

That's when having a shared folder would come in handy so I can watch my show straight away.

Hi Guys,

Is there some services that may need to be running for my Network Media Player to see these shared drives? I've come across a thread that is about a similar issue and they talk about "Remote Access Auto Connection Manager, Remote Access Connection Manager, Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol Service, Routing And Remote Access and maybe one or two others."

Back