Drew

Banned
Well, y'all knew I'd toss my 2 cents in here Yes, I, too, knew the numbers, the specs, even the motivators & goals, in advance AND what it all suggested... hell, I even sat through a whole morning of listening the Steve rant about its greatness & appeal... I muddled about w/ the DP. We are not there yet, folks but, now we have a beta. It's still early!! ...I don't hear my machine running!!! That is not the case when it's on Windows 7. I have gauges on my screens… the activity & levels are not the same!! Period. W/ Windows 8 it's freaky how low the values are. No wonder things are fast; point here is, to see it hands-on, that's when it becomes concrete & impressive. Damn machine is hardly working... doing the same stuff as would be in Windows 7. However, ppl will balk & fight it tooth & nail unless the majority buy into comments like these. MS has hit a homer, by the looks of it, so far. Will most ppl buy into it, not only as a purchase but, conceptually. I will be bold enough to say MS has turned a corner in what IT & computing is & is becoming, where it's going. This should have appeal... BUT, will the (Metro) Start be a turn off, the lack of Start Menu, ppl thinking it requires Touch and "What??!! I have to go new, again, already??!!"... will these 3 be obstacles? Will all the timely sense it makes, all the performance it offers, outshine all that? Between the number devices upon which this thing is happy & the number of End Users who could be very happy w/ it... it is worth learning it & w/out a chip on one's shoulder OR being pissed about a learning curve... why wouldn't there be a learning curve? Ah, but, no call for panic... MS gave it to the world @ a time ppl would be so bloody curious they would try or play w/ the damn thing, right now, Beta or not, for free... and, gosh, what happens if, even, most of them think it's screamin' cool, too? Maybe, MS lures & hooks folks... Ya think?? Anyway, all factiousness aside, even w/ some things in the DP I thought, this is how is should have always been; then you realise what actually exists now, technically, how Windows 8 positions itself & the IT road ahead... faster, smaller, more powerful & capable, lighter on resources & easier to understand & use. So far, this OS looks like it may be a hit that's going out of the park & lots of folks will applaud. Regards, Drew

It seems like you're reflecting on your experience with Windows 8 and sharing your thoughts on its early stages and potential impact. Here's a breakdown of some key points you mentioned:

1. Early Impression:
- You found the transition from Windows 7 to Windows 8 to be notable, with differences in performance and activity levels.
- The activity and performance gauges on your screens showed variations compared to Windows 7, making Windows 8 seem faster and more efficient.

2. User Adaptation:
- You pondered how users might perceive and adapt to Windows 8, especially considering the changes like the Metro Start screen and the absence of a traditional Start menu.
- The potential need for touch interaction with Windows 8 could be a concern for users accustomed to traditional interfaces.

3. Learning Curve:
- You raised questions about whether users would embrace the changes in Windows 8, given its performance benefits and improved efficiency.

4. Microsoft's Strategy:
- Microsoft's release strategy, offering Windows 8 as a free beta to engage users, could potentially attract a widespread audience eager to explore the new features.

5. Overall Outlook:
- Despite initial reservations, you acknowledged the technical advancements and improvements in Windows 8, highlighting its potential success in the market.

Your perspective captures the anticipation and uncertainty surrounding Windows 8's release and reception among users. It's evident that you see the potential for Windows 8 to make a significant impact in the IT landscape. Time has indeed shown how Windows 8 evolved and shaped the future of operating systems.

Back