Windows 7 Sharing data between VHD & host (physical) disk

Coolboy

Can i share data between my VHD ( WinXP ) which created within Win7 , and the host (physical disk with Win7 OS ) ?

If positive, how ?

Thanks in advance
Coolboy

Can i share data between my VHD ( WinXP ) which created within Win7 , and the host (physical disk with Win7 OS ) ?

If positive, how ?

Thanks in advance
Coolboy

Only when you have the VHD loaded.

--- It makes your host os available as D: drive

When you are running the host OS you can't access anything inside the VHD file.

Since I don't think VHD's have much practical use I haven't posted much about them in my blogs.. but on my website you can find a longer discussion.. including a one click method of creating a VHD. Windows 7 Secrets, Solutions, Shortcuts, Security, Tweaks, Tips, Tricks, Hacks, Cracks and Fixes

Here is a link that will show you how to Mount the VHD as a drive.

This is not the same as mapping to a drive in the VHD from the host system.
I am curious about this also,, when I have time, I will see if there is a way to do it.
I dont see why you can't map to a running VHD drive through a network share, but who knows.

Different animal

This is not the same as mapping to a drive in the VHD from the host system.
I am curious about this also,, when I have time, I will see if there is a way to do it.
I dont see why you can't map to a running VHD drive through a network share, but who knows.

The Windows VHD is a different animal than the previous vhd's .. in 7 it's a single file that you boot directly into without booting into the host os. You can load only one vhd in 7.. but you can have several vhd files with different setups to pick from in your multi-boot menu. Since the 7 vhd does not run INSIDE the host you don't have a running vhd to map through a network... like you could before windows 7

Thank you for replying !

As what you said, we can't share data between host ( win7 ) & guest . If that is the case, is it wise to make use of VirtualBox ? as far as i know, VB can do this.

The Windows VHD is a different animal than the previous vhd's .. in 7 it's a single file that you boot directly into without booting into the host os. You can load only one vhd in 7.. but you can have several vhd files with different setups to pick from in your multi-boot menu. Since the 7 vhd does not run INSIDE the host you don't have a running vhd to map through a network... like you could before windows 7

No,, that's not true.

Windows 7 does give you the ability to boot to a VHD (Virtual Hard Drive), yes, but that is not all you can do with it.
VHD is a VHD, there is no real difference. You should be able to bring a VHD over from any other system and start it from within the host system or boot to it in 7. That is also why MS offers VHD downloads of some systems so you can play with them in VPC instead of having to set up a new system or set up a dual boot.

Windows Virtual PC... you can have as many of these as your system can handle starting at one time.
Or start them individually. You are not limited to only being able to boot to it.

If you boot to the VHD or Start one (or 40) from within the host,, you should still be able to map a drive to it through the network share. It is not really any different than running a stand alone system. Other than it is running virtually. That's it.

Thanks for your detailed explanation.

However, what i mostly concerning is " transfer data between OSs " rather than multi-system booting. So, I prefer to make use of VirtualBox or VM 6.5 .

NET USE Z: \\ComputerName\ShareName

This may be what you can try,, I haven't had time to test this at home,, but should work for mapping a shared drive that is located in the VPC OS to access it from the Host system.

Z: is whatever drive letter you have available.

Back
Top Bottom