Windows 7 Sharing files Delimena in Windows 7 with vista and xp HOMEGROUP?

aggieoo7

Setting share files and printers seems to not be as easy as it was in XP and Vista.
I tried all the forums so far and have not found the trick. With all options tried in Windows 7 as the forums state, one can not see the other non Windows 7 pc in
a home that worked fine prior to Win7 with same hardware. Vista pc also can NOT
open any files or share any printers as it did in past. PASS WORD PROTECT OFF OR ON fails to allow one to open WIN7 files. Can see Win7 pc from Vista and can see Win7 from xp pro public files only but shows in xp all other files that can
be share but can not open any but those in public. Windows 7 share setup is too complicated
and that is it(no files can be opened). Did not start Mcafee with msconfig and AVG on win7. Did not resolve short of uninstalling both which I do not see why. Windows 7 Pro Installed and other than share prob. all working fine. ALL PCs used WORKGROUP name.
What is the hidden trick? FIREWALL OPTIONS IN WINDOWS 7 ? SUSPECT FIREWALL BUT NOT ABLE TO LOCATE where any are not checked for file sharing and printers within Win7.
This definitely one area in Windows 7 that needs revamping for sharing to older systems.

Well, it says a computer must be running Win 7 to use Homegroups. Have you checked the options in the Network and Sharing Center under Advanced sharing settings?

Howdy Saltgrass,
Yes, I followed all the ms forums MIKELEAH and HANS on how to correct and still something hidden. I suspect a FIREWALL that I can not find. ALL OPTIONS CHECKED AND TRIED BOTH HOME,NETWORK,AND PUBLIC. SEEMS to
only let me see pcs. On Vista, I can see the Win7 pc but can not open any files. On xp pc I can see all folders
on Win7 but can only open PUBLIC. In the good ole days, xp and vista shared great with no hazzle. I wondering
what this Win7 Pro share is missing. BTW, I also tried not starting AVG 9 on Win7 and Mcaffee on Vista. MSE on
xp . I wonder if I need MSE on all but I doubt that is it.

On your shared folders did you share with "Specific people" and add "Everyone" to the list? Did you try to reset the network in XP? Maybe you should. Also did you give it 15 minutes to establish the network after you set it up? It almost never happens immediately.

Stueycaster,
I right mouse clicked each folder and added everyone to share. rebooted and waited. SOS. Can see either Vista or win7
pc but can not open any folders that are each ADDED as EVERYONE . next?

See if you can connect using the IP Addresses. Type in \\{other computer's IP address} into the address bar in Windows Explorer. Notice the back slashes. Whenever our network gets sluggish I can always connect by doing this. Then it works afterward, at least til the next time my wife shuts off her laptop.

Howdy stueycaster !
\\ip address other computer did connect. DOES THIS MEAN I WILL HAVE TO LOOKUP AND COPY DOWN IP EACH TIME? What is that telling us? That opening by clicking on PC NAME and it failing means the sharing software needs a little more debugging at MS or all the security patches overriding the name. BTW, I did notice it say something about
name each time it failed but Name is correct for each pc and WORKGROUP name is in all. Now how do I keep it from
making lookup ip and reentering each time sharing? I clicked on COMPUTER and network and it did not keep connected but each time I enter ip address it does. I WISH IT WOULD HOLD IT OR WORK AFTERWARD LIKE YOU SAID.
Thanks again for temp fix but sure would like to resolved where one does not have to perform this time share nightmare.
NOTE \\IP address only worked from Win7 but from Vista . From Vista, Win 7 \\ip address did not open just like it does
if one clicks Win7 icon. Mcafee unistalled on Vista and MSE installed did not change problem.

Last edited:
I would try setting up the network again on your XP and Vista computers. Run the Network setup Wizard again. Then if it doesn't connect at first wait a while and give it another try. I know in our network my wife's laptop running XP Home is the one with the problems. My desktop with W7 runs great.

If you open Windows Explorer and look at the network entry, does it show up there?

Saltgrass, Well I got two answers for you. On Win7, when I click computer and look under the NETWORK I did NOT see both pcs in Win7. Then after going to the VISTA ULT. PC and further checking share by going into properties for the main folders(like Music). I then
click the SECURITY tab and went into ADVANCED option. There I highlighted ALLOW EVERYONE and changed from READ only
to allow everyone FULL RIGHTS. Then on Win7, I see under NETWORK that pc. But that is as far I could go. Clicking on that Pc
did not open its files. However, prior to changing security I always see under NETWORK for both pcs each of them from day one.
What I am trying to tell you is that opening NETWORK and share center and clicking full map I see everything nicely presented with icons for each pc and a switch icons attached to gateway icon and then internet icon. On Vista pc I see both pcs either clicking on computer and looking under network as well as viewing via Control panel with similar nice presentation. That is as far
I can go in either direction. BTW, I lost the \\ ip address ability from Win7 once I altered the everyone rights to FULL on Vista to further confuse the issue. MSE on both pcs. I did reset up network on xp and created a NETSUP DISKETTE. Should I run on Vista?

This is getting too confusing for me, so let's start with basics. Please keep your answers short.

If you type \\ThatComputerName in the start menu search box, can you connect to the either one of the other 2 computers?

If you open Windows Explorer and look in the Network section do you see the other computers?

The XP computer will not show up in the Newtork sharing center unless you add the special utility for Win 7 to see it. You should be able to share files with it, however. And it might show up at the bottom of the window.

There are many tutorials on how to set up home networks. Just remember you can only use Homegroups with Windows 7 computers, so the XP and Vista computers will not work.

I think Saltgrass is right. You need to start over from scratch. I'd delete your network connection and start from there.

Howdy! Late yesterday I managed to access both xp and vista plus vista and win7. However, here comes the rub, I keep loosing the share between win7 and vista. Works for a while and then can not open. And if I may ask Saltgrass, WHAT IS THE SPECIAL UTILITY YOU BRIEFLY MENTIONED FOR XP? Lastly, the share between xp and vista works fine. I can see only vista from win7
when I click on full map and NEVER XP. XP sees all three but nothing can be opened on Win7. Share is sure FLAKY on the win7
side. Vista also see all three and always to open xp. Hopefully, one of you SENIORS will tell me what is going on. BTW,
I use a 2WIRE and looking into the firewall settings I also find this phenomena when view share files option within it. Sometime
I can view but 2wire tech support said I was setup correctly and everything in their box is correct. NEXT?

Saltgrass, I just got back home and read your message. I would like to update you that I was able to view files between Vista and
Xp (when it worked which as I said was not all the time and that is the mystery). However, never could view files between Win7
and xp. Could see Win7 when working, but never could see shared files either direction. So maybe that is what you are talking about for Win7. I guess my Vista worked with NETSUP wayback when I used to share them. Either this sharing thing is still buggy
and from what my findings show still needs some additional software to resolve in Win7.
Thanks for your help and if you got any more ideas feel free to pass them on.

My wife's laptop came with Vista Home Premium on it. She hated Vista so I partitioned the h/d and installed XP Home in a dual boot configuration. A while back it stopped booting either o/s so I fixed XP and left Vista broken. Then day before yesterday I fixed Vista just so I could check out the networking issues.

In my network both W7 and Vista network beautifully. Nothing ever goes wrong between the two. Xp on the other hand is the one with the problems. It frequently is sluggish about starting. I told you about my work around in a previous post. Every time I click on "My Network Places" it sits there for 2 to 3 minutes with the little flashlight swinging back and forth on the screen. Finally it will either work or not.

When XP was written Vista and W7 were off in the future. It knows nothing about the other two. Vista and W7 both know all about XP. XP is also known for having difficulties with networking. You need to stop thinking that W7 is the culprit here. Unless you have a bad W7 installation it should network just fine. You need to look at XP as being the possible source of your problems.

Last edited:
Stueycaster, You missed my point, I saying that sharing seemed to work prior to W7. I was hoping W7 with all security bandaids
and security patches that xp and vista did not have maybe needed. I just feel the sharing portion of software has not worked as
smoothly as it did in prior releases. Posssibly my older 2wire hardware is part of the culprit since it too was developed prior to W7. As mentioned earlier, if I go into the 2wire portion of software for sharing, that is usually when I get the W7 and Vista working. This was not so in days prior to W7 and do not remember having to uninstall antivirus software then either. Who knows
maybe I will have breakdown and upgrade the rest to W7 and use all that password stuff inside my own home which I wanted
to not do. I hear that portion works. You know where I can get a good deal on family paks? Thanks again and have a great day.

OK, just for the heck of it, open Network and Sharing Center. Upper Left, Advanced Sharing Center. Tell us what settings you show for the Home or Work. Make sure the last one does not say let windows manage.

Saltgrass, I do have allow windows to manage SINCE IT STATES RECOMMENDED. I thought if I choose other option I have to
supply passwords on each of my IN HOME PCS. That option, ALLOW WINDOWS TO MANAGE, has always been checked
and I wonder why it lets me sometimes and others it does not. I will check the other and see what that does. Hopefully, since
I have password turn off on other options I will not be strangled with passwords on each pc.
Will update you on what that does since I have to restart Win7. tks..

Option changed to NOT let windows manage did nothing different but I left it as you suggested. I can still see VISTA AND WIN7
in see full map while inside Network and Sharing Center from either pc. With this option checked in Win7 earlier(prior to
allowing windows to manage, I did see and share either direction but then lost it the next day. I am about ready to give up.
I guess I will have to breakdown and install WIN7 across all to get around this flaky share problem even though I am concerned
what older devices that quit working by doing so. Plus, the password on each pc I guess will not be time burner each time
I share in my own home to my other pcs.

Back