Windows 8 Should you Disable your AV when gaming...?

Xanda Caine

Hi all,

Just a quick valid but probably a stupid question to ask. Should you disable you AV when gaming, or is it just utter BS. I find that certain games work better with the AV turned off and then put it back on when you've finished.

TIA
Xanda

For security reasons....I vote no! You leave your system is open to attacks doing so...although the chances are slim but it's possible. As for the lag issue when you game; this is caused by the system resources being consumed by the AV and the game. The only way to stop that, is to upgrade your system to high performance gaming components....eg...high end GPU, CPU and more RAM.

Hi all,

Just a quick valid but probably a stupid question to ask. Should you disable you AV when gaming, or is it just utter BS. I find that certain games work better with the AV turned off and then put it back on when you've finished.

TIA
Xanda

Absolutely not!

Cheers,
Drew
290_Windows8_1.jpg

I've had to disable AV to install some picky software but I physically disconnected from the internet first.
Joe

"but I physically disconnected from the internet first."

Ah, yes, that, indeed, would ensure safety for the duration. Almost makes it a moot point, but, good point, still, lol.

Cheers,
Drew
290_Windows8_1.jpg

If you read the install instructions for some software it does mention shutting off AV. Things like video drivers, VMware tools, firmware updates that are a one shot try, etc. The fanboys on the Avast forum go nuts when you mention shutting off Avast!
Joe

But, Joe, as you implied & I said, if one has unplugged the web feed there, really, isn't anything left about which to go nuts, be you Avast or whomever. But, as far as being on the net w/out protection, for any length of time, that IS worthy of going nuts.

Cheers,
Drew
290_Windows8_1.jpg

AV,can be disabled in game mode and just stay offline if did so while playing some game. I never recommend disabling the AV as can make you get some viruses from net if forgot that you are disabling the AV and get online. Games can always be played right with AV and can make like few other services like network,and the update and the messengers and the check for itune and other audio devices temporarily disabled and see if it will make your gaming work faster or not.

The fanboys on the Avast forum go nuts when you mention shutting off Avast!
fyi Avast is a very gamer friendly AV and can just be put into "game mode"… disables updates and other pop ups so that they don't interfere with something more important to tell you about a product coming out soon.

However if you have something older like Nortains then yes you should turn it off while gaming… imo you should just delete the program completely but that’s not very professional advice.

Back