Windows 7 Sinofsky: Windows 7 RC releases April 10th

blackroseMD1

Extraordinary Member
From Neowin:

There have been so many dates flying around concerning the upcoming Release Candidate for Windows 7, and it's beginning to become a daily subject in the blogosphere. Just when you thought that we were going to see a Windows 7 RC by the end of February, a trusted source within Microsoft has informed Neowin that the RC will not be ready by the end of February.

At this time, Windows 7 RC is internally being tested and the official release date is set for April 10, 2009. The Windows team is right on schedule with development, and if there are no significant problems over the next few weeks the April 10, 2009 release date will remain in tact.

Not much information is available at this time. We're uncertain if the release will be a world-wide, and Microsoft is expected to do more testing before releasing a RC build to the public. With that in mind, TechNet and MSDN subscribers should be the first to receive the RC build. A recent email conversation between Paul, over at GeekSmack, and Steven Sinofsky, Microsoft Senior Vice President of Windows, revealed that there have been over 500,000 suggestions since the public launch of the Windows 7 Beta.

Sinofsky mentioned that, "recently we've seen people talk about 'RC Builds' and the like. First, all builds since the beta are RC builds since by definition that is the next milestone. But by far the most humorous element has been that the build numbers blogged about are higher than our current build. Today's build is 7046, but it hasn't completed yet :)."

Other than the UAC fixes that were highlighted earlier this month, not much is known as to what has been changed or fixed in these internal builds, we'll keep you up to date with more information as it comes our way.

Update (1:14 PM -6 GMT): Emil Protalinski over at Ars Technica has apparently spoke with Steven Sinofsky, and he has said, "The build will be available broadly". This isn't a normal thing for Microsoft to do, however we will wait and see what Microsoft has in store for us in the coming weeks.

I think also with the popularity of Netbooks ( a suprising growth area in an otherwise bad economic time) Microsoft realises that the only chance to capture this HUGE new market is to push ahead with Windows 7. Most of these Netbooks are being released with XP HOME installed and a few with various flavours of Linux. Almost NONE have VISTA on them.

My Netbook came with XP HOME on ot but am running W7 build 7022 very nicely indeed on it.

This is a nice "upgrade" market for Microsoft and rather unexpected so of course they want to take advantage of it..

I feel also that they want to put the whole of the VISTA saga behind them and move on. I'm sure W7 Final will be released in the Autumn (Fall) just in time for schools and colleges return after the Summer and early enough for OEM's to start shipping computers with W7 installed.

Cheers
jimbo

Hi all.

It will appear when it appears.

However there does become a point in what value is testing anymore if one is attempting to fix something that's already been fixed in a later build (or even if the feature has been removed / replaced by a 3rd party app).

It makes no logical sense whatsoever to "Freeze" the current Betaes pecially if significant changes are made as all our hard work in getting stuff to run on the Beta will possibly be useless / obsolete when migrating our "Real working OS'es" be they XP or VISTA to W7.

Cheers
jimbo

I don't view it as "freezing" the Betas. I am sure the feedback, the only intention of the public release, has been more than succesful.
It is the nature of such testing. No software providers would reply to all the feedback contributers. I think you can be sure that your feedback, and that of the other several thousand, has been attended to. The builds are normally confined to the "inner circle" of concerned people, such as, for example, driver manufacturers, and developers within Microsoft, working on individual portions of the OS. To offer them to the public could complicate the problems.
It is still only rumoured that the RC1 will be public. I would doubt it. But you can be sure that the bug fixing may not stop there. The 5000 Tech beta testers will work with the RC and carry on with the bug hunting.
My own thoughts are that, apart from feedback to MS, it gives me the opportunity to examine the product and, with the friendly exchange on forums such as this, give help to those who are struggling with bugs and, particularly, new features.
If you don't feel it is worth providing feedback anymore, then it is free choice to stop.

Hi all.

It will appear when it appears.

However there does become a point in what value is testing anymore if one is attempting to fix something that's already been fixed in a later build (or even if the feature has been removed / replaced by a 3rd party app).

It makes no logical sense whatsoever to "Freeze" the current Betaes pecially if significant changes are made as all our hard work in getting stuff to run on the Beta will possibly be useless / obsolete when migrating our "Real working OS'es" be they XP or VISTA to W7.

Cheers
jimbo

Didn't you already go on this rant in another thread?? ;)

Hi -- somehow I got sucked into the rumour of RC1.

I wasn't actually intending a "Rant" as everything I need is pretty well working in W7 (apart from a couple of minor glitches with Network cards and some funny Satellite TV tuners which "sort of work") and I'm sure will get fixed later.,

My main point was that I just hope that having got stuff working I hope I don't have to go through it all again because stuff has significantly changed.

I'm actually greatful fot the opportuinity of actually testing W7 and am happy with it so far.

If it sounded like a "rant" it wasn't intended to be. Just shows one has to be VERY careful how replies to threads are phrased on internet forums.

cheers
jimbo

With how amazing and stable the public beta was, I think the RC will be even better. The beta was like the RTM version of Vista. The RC will be like the SP1 of vista.

microsoft needs to have windows Vista SE (windows 7) out by july or august on the store shelves for the back to school upgrades and also installed on new computers and laptops. They should have i think the rc build done now as windows 7 is just vista with lipstick and not too much new stuff in it. the only really new thing is the toolbar, which is what ms does look at 2000 and xp. the only other newer feature is being able to load drivers in unison. if you look at the code itself from what i read it not that much different to require it to be a new version number 7. it is 6.1 when you use ver at a command prompt.
i say we start a petition to rename it windows vista se

microsoft needs to have windows Vista SE (windows 7) out by july or august on the store shelves for the back to school upgrades and also installed on new computers and laptops. They should have i think the rc build done now as windows 7 is just vista with lipstick and not too much new stuff in it. the only really new thing is the toolbar, which is what ms does look at 2000 and xp. the only other newer feature is being able to load drivers in unison. if you look at the code itself from what i read it not that much different to require it to be a new version number 7. it is 6.1 when you use ver at a command prompt.
i say we start a petition to rename it windows vista se

Yeah good luck with that... hahaha There's a hell of alot more that goes into making an OS then what your giving Microsoft credit for.. I do admit there are quite a few similarities between Vista and Windows 7 but who cares.. Windows 7 works better, looks better and is all around a much BETTER OS.. I have to disagree on calling it Windows Vista SE.. that's not giving Win 7 the credit it deserves first of all... and not to mention MS would NEVER do that seeing as they want to distance themselves from the whole Vista name as quick as possible.. ;)

And really isn't that what making an OS is all about? Building something and then improving upon it in the next release... seriously.. If you really want to be that way about it, than why not call Windows 7 Windows 95 SE.. really, since 95 all Windows versions have looked very similar to each other.. they've all had the same overall functionality.. and they've all been layed out the same way for the most part.. they've each just been an improvement over the previous version..

I really don't think you have a valid point here... ;)

Back