Windows 7 Slow Install & Boot

From what I can gather from the Chinese forum is the hard drive needs to be on channel 0 of the SATA bus in the first position. I've checked my config and the CDRom is first on channel 0 (\Device\Ide\PciIde0Channel0) and the HD is second (\Device\Ide\PciIde1Channel0). Problem is you can't easily disconnect the CDRom in an old macbook so I can't test my theory.

DuMbGuM can you now try upgrading to 7057 and see if it still works properly.

Last edited:
DuMbGuM can you now try upgrading to 7057 and see if it still works properly.

I already upgraded from 7000 to 7057 and It was the exact same as a fresh install of 7057.

I think I'll just leave it alone now until RC1 is leaked or a fix arrives for 7057.

Oh really? I had hoped that it would still work properly by upgrading. Hmmmm, I wonder what's causing this. Lots of people experiencing the same issue by the looks of it. Let's hope that it's fixed in the next build.

Yeah its dissapointing

But hey, RC1 will be leaked probably just over two weeks from now, and apparently they actually finish a new build every working day so It should get fixed by then ! *crosses fingers*

In my case, I just have one (1) sata connector on the motherboard, so I'm not able to move it. God damn this irritates me.
My comp is an acer aspire L5100. Wich is a small form factor desktop computer.
I bought it to give me a silent livingroom. It only gives me headaches at the moment. Hopefully there will be a fix for it.

The solution doesn´t help for 7057 on a eee pc with sata ssd as you can´t move it to another channel. Maybe somebody can find out which files from 7048 could be copied to 7057 to get it work. (I don´t care about the slow install, but it also boots up extrememly slow)

ohhhhhhh...

ACER ASPIRE L5100 seems using amd chipset, it seems the solution doesn'twork well on chipset not intel. hi, i suggest you go to the bios and see if the harddisk is master or not,if it is slave,try to make it master

or see the hd info in bios---master\slave, works under which state, sata compatible or sata enhanced or ahci,then try to figure it out

To all that have this problem on PC, change your SATA HDD to SATA2_0 port and it will work like charm. Cheers

Well. as i said earlier, i do only have one sata-connector on my motherboard.
So I will not be able to change.
I'll wait untill the njext build arrives. Most likely in a week or two.

I can't change the sata port unless I take a hacksaw to my laptop lol.

At least we know its a problem they're going to have to fix. I'll be keeping an eye out for the next build.

Edit:

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Arg.. hope its leaked sooner than that

Last edited:
I did what some of you suggested and I moved my windows7 drive to the first slot, then I ran a startup repair from the CD and it seems to have fixed this problem. Booting up a lot quicker now.

Thanks for the advice.

thank you guys so much!!! you fixed my slow install/boot up for this build of win 7. Plugging into the SATA1 slot did the trick for me. Hopefully this wont be a problem in the future for everyone out there who has only one sata slow or doesnt know how to change their settings in BIOS.

Thanks again!!!!

fix for the people using laptops or cannot change sata ports:
right click My Computer -> Properties -> Device Manager -> Disk drives -> Right Click on your hard drive -> Properties -> Policies Tab -> UNCHECK "Enable write caching on the device". Restart and see the magic

Edit: You can UNCHECK the first box or CHECK both of them, whatever suites you better. In my opinion checking both of them seems to boot up a little faster.

Last edited:
Thanks a million for the tip. Might try it tomorrow.
I'm waiting for a newer buld since the 7057 build have problems with networking.
But I might try it on a test-machine

Good news all, I'm installing Build 7068 at the moment and its going a lot faster than the 7057 install, will report back !

Yup, SATA problem fixed, another fast, stable beta.

Last edited:
Just installed 7068 x86. It's fast, it's sweet and it works like a charm
Now I just have to wait for build7.0.7100
The new one with a new core......

Yeah. A friend of mine who is working in Microsoft told me that there will be a build with a new core. They are apparantly leaving the Vista core and using a new one. But let's not get to exited. We all know that Microsoft is like the weather. Always changing.