Windows 7 Slow laptop - high physical memory usage

SCM

Laptop specs:
Manufacturer: TOSHIBA
Processor: Celeron(R) Dual-Core CPU T3100@ 1.90GHZ
Installed memory (RAM) 2.00 GB (1.87 GB usable)
System type: 64-bit Operating Sytem
Display: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset

Not sure if you need this information - but I listed my laptop specs just incase.

Picture of task manager: Imageshack - taskmanagerj.png

For the last few days something has been making my laptop go major slow...I've did scans for viruses and so on..I tried doing a defrag but it doesn't finish due to my laptop freezing! I've went into safe mode and everything seems to work fine there and I've also tried msconfig and it worked but stopped my sound and internet from working. So I'm wondering if anyone can give me some help to speed my laptop back up?

The reasons for this can cover hardware or software, or misconfiguration. But, before getting any deeper, one major cause of the symptoms, seldom mentioned, is a failing battery.
If any cells in the battery are beginning to break down,. the CPU and ram struggle to keep the computer operating, causing your problem. If you have a battery monitor GUI, does it look OK?
Looking at your process monitor, however, I presume you are using FIrefox? It is using an extraordinary amount of resource! Try IE, in the first instance/test, and see if there is any difference. But your post was not specific as to whether this was generally, or only a browsing problem?? If the latter, then that could be it.
What do you mean by
" I've also tried msconfig and it worked but stopped my sound and internet from working."

What did you do in that window? A picture of your Msconfig - startup, tab will help also, if you are able to access it.

Here's the pictures of my mscongfig of each tab and what I've changed, you will see that I've disabled some things in the services tab hoping it would make a difference. I use firefox but it was happening when I was using google chrome so I decided to remove that and try firefox. I was messing around on msconfgi disabling a lot of things and then my system seem to be fine but as I said I had no sound or internet. Also this laptop is only one month old just bought it.

Ok I've uploded the images to imagebam

Free Image Hosting by ImageBam.com

Sorry but I cannot get your pictures to open in a sufficiently enlarged view to read?? Copying over to my graphics program and zooming only blurs them and makes them unreadable.

But, even if your laptop is new, you could have a defective battery?
I noted your comment regarding the browser, so we can count that out. - But it is still overloading the resources for some reason.

You should have a battery monitor in the notification area. Click it and see what % of power it is showing. With the power on, a defective battery will not show 100%.

OK. That's a start. Can you upload those pictures again, using the forum advanced features?

I've attached the images for you, is this good enough for you to view? Right now I'm on safe mode as when I am everything runs normal, well without the sound and all lol. I'm just wondering do you think it's software afterall? since it works fine on safemode..my phsyical memory is only 40-50% and with only 25 processes running..I've uploaded a picture of my task manager on safe mode, I am not sure if this will help.

I wasn't able to attack anymore files..but here's the link to it Imageshack - safemodetask.png

Attachments

• first1.png
    first1.png
    14.6 KB · Views: 506
  • first2.png
    first2.png
    22.6 KB · Views: 608
  • first3.png
    first3.png
    23.5 KB · Views: 594
Well, you do have a heap of gear running under the startup tab!
I cannot see what each is, as you have not expanded the columns, but I would begin by unticking everything except the Synaptics and the HD Audio. (I am assuming you will have a good use for those) If you want to be cautious, you could untick them individually but , with the restart, that could take a while.

I tried what you said but it had no effect, however I ended a process called something like wmx( I think it's windows media player network) it was using so much recourses soon as I ended it my physical memory just dropped and goes from 20% to around 40% now! I used msconfig to turn it off for good..I don't really need it, well I don't think so? I'm wondering if it got to do with me putting all the cds I have onto my laptop and play it with windows media player?

anyways thanks a lot for your help!

Back