Windows 7 Small Desktop Icons

gwb

Hi folks,

Enjoying Win 7 so far. I do find the desktop icons a bit too big and this cuts down on the deskop real estate.

Can someone point out if and where it can be adjusted. Wasn't able to find an adjustment yet.

thanks,

Left-click in an empty portion of the desktop and hold in 'CTRL' and then scroll down on the mouse wheel to reduce icon size to your preferred size.

Hope that helped :)

omg, i was looking for it too, forgot its like anything like Word, IE, ...

Thnks Gavin

But isn't there a place like in XP where you could also adjust the space between icons?

omg, i was looking for it too, forgot its like anything like Word, IE, ...

Thnks Gavin

But isn't there a place like in XP where you could also adjust the space between icons?

Yes, but a lot of these minor display configuration options seem to have been removed from W7 unfortunately. I don't know if this is even possible any longer :(

To make this much more easier, right-click on the desktop and choose personalize, now click windows color and choose icon spacing under the drop-down menu

Backup the following registry key before attempting this:

Icon spacing is available in Windows properties or through the registry.

Open regedit and navigate to [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics]

In the right pane there is an entry named IconSpacing. The default is 1125.

To space them further apart, set the value to 925 which will place them closer together and the size will not be as large.

Change the IconVerticalSpacing to 925 as well.

Last edited:
You can also change the icon size if you like:

Go to the same place mentioned at the top of the other post and choose Icon from the drop-down menu and you can select a custom size here.

Last edited:
Hi Iroken22,

Welcome back!!!!!!!!!1

Yes, you know I love to play with the registry, but I did find an easier way

Removing text form desktop icons

Hi, Just a thought, but how do you get rid of the text descriptions that hang below each desktop icon?

It is possible to do it without resorting to messing with the registry.
Right click the desktop and personalize.
Click Windows Classic
Click Windows colour
There is you familiar items. You can scroll down and alter icon spacing and quite a few other things. I found a horizontal spacing of 60 accomodated my text nicely.

Later.
I should have added that after this you can return to your original background,and the new customisation will remain.

Last edited:
Back