Windows 8 [SOLVED] Display adapter problem AND windows system restore problem

MichaelJohnas

My first problem is that, apparently, you cannot make the screen brighter on some lenovo laptops with windows 8. The Brightness- button is working, but once you make the screen dimmer, you cannot make it bright again using the brightness settings. I found out however that you can revert by rolling back some drivers. It worked every time when my screen would get dimmer for whatever reason. Yet, yesterday, it happened again and I forgot what to do about it and I ended up uninstaling the Intel Graphics 4000 driver from my computer by mistake. When I tried reinstalling it, it would display the following message:
"This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)"
I thought that I could undo all of this adventure of mine by using the system restore and revert back long before this all started. However, every time I tried to use system restore it wouldn't work, due to "error 0x80070005", recommending that I turn off my antivirus in order for the system restore to be able to access a certain file. I went as far as uninstalling anything reminescent of an antivirus from my computer and disabling windows defender. However, it is still not working, displaying the same error.

So, here is what I need help with:
Solving the error code 31 of my display adapte driver.
and/or
Solving the error 0x80070005 of the system restore

Any of these are appreciated. Thank you.

Lenovo Ideeapad. The drivers are all legacy software. Tried installing the intel graphics 4000 from their website, but that did not work.

Incredible! Thank you! It worked! It seems that there is no limit to my stupidity... However, now I have the driver installed and I can use my laptop again for heavier tasks... but my brightness is still very low... I used to roll back the driver, but now that I have a new one... any suggestions?

It seems this is a known problem involving the mechanism for adapting the display brightness according to ambient light conditions. Try turn off this feature by: going to Control Panel/Power Options/Change plan settings/Change advanced power settings. Scroll down to "Display", Click on the plus sign next to Display,Click on the plus sign next to Enable adaptive brightness. Click on each of the "on" options and select "off". Chain back out, not sure if you'll need to reboot.

OK, done this, rebooted (I'm sure I modified the correct power plan) but it is still the same, unfortunately.

Solving the error code 31 of my display adapte driver.

This error is the card/ device doesn't like the driver and nothing to do with windows really eg. an Asus dvd player will not let you use a Lenovo driver.

Solving the error 0x80070005 of the system restore

This error is the licence key was not found or rejected... there are lots of things that can cause this without it necessary being a pirate copy of windows.

Microsoft updates: has optional (very basic) power drivers that may also be installed on your system... these could be fighting the power drivers that came with your system. I don't own a Lenovo machine but Asus laptops use power4gear software and the windows 8.1 upgrade is well known to cause this error, however the 8.1.1 patch fixed it as far as i'm aware... at least for Asus machines.

All right! I figured out that the Intel Graphics program fas messing with my settings, apparently overriding whatever I could modify in the control panel (which is probably why modifying power plans did not work). However, I uninstalled it and the first thing I see is my computer going back to normal. Thanks everyone!

Back
Top Bottom