Windows 10 [SOLVED] Keyboard stopped working (odd driver issue)

mendlo

Hi,

I have a pretty weird problem. My keyboard stopped working today. It works fine to navigate the system's BIOS menus, but as soon as Windows boots, the lights on the keyboard turn off and I cannot use it.

Device Manager shows 3 "HID Keyboard" devices under the keyboard category. I have tried uninstalling them and rebooting. I have also tried re-installing my motherboard's chipset. Other keyboards have the same problem with this PC.

I noticed that if I uninstall the "HID Keyboard Device" and re-plugin the keyboard, then the "HID Keyboard Device" reappears, so it seems Windows 10 detects something from the keyboard being connected.

Any ideas? It seems pretty bizarre. The really weird thing is it came totally out of the blue. I was playing a video game when I noticed that it was a problem. It worked fine earlier today.

If the driver has become corrupted you may need to download it.
Try uninstalling the driver with the option “Delete the driver software for this device” from the uninstall menu, and you will force Windows to download a new driver.

Hope this helps, will keep my fingers crossed.

Thank you for the response. When I use Device Manager to uninstall "HID Keyboard Device," there is not a check box for “Delete the driver software for this device.”

The keyboard is a generic USB Dell keyboard. It doesn't have any special features.

Then try to download the driver for the keyboard from the manufacture's website, use "compatibility mode" installing it if it is not a W10 driver.

[SOLVED]

I tried many things, including the suggestion above. In the end, here is the solution that worked for me:
  1. Right-click "This PC" and go to Properties
  2. Select "System protections" on the left
  3. Click the button that reads "System Restore..." and follow the wizard

Great to hear that you has solved it and thanks for letting us know what it solved.

Please keep visiting us, have a great day

Back