Windows 7 Sony Vaio "FN" Keys

Hey guys, registered an account just to share my experience. All your posts were very helpful, I have a Vaio vgn-FW455J and recently put on windows 7 64-bit, had the same problems with Fn and volume control keys. Already had most, if not all driver files installed. Did this and it worked.

Install Event Service

Restart

Install Shared Library

Presto bango, window opens after Shared library install, saying it didn't install correctly. Tried the volume and brightness with that window open and it worked. Funny, the only time I saw that window was when it started working.

Hi all. This problem with Sony Vaio and Windows 7 - Function Keys not working any longer - drove me nuts but I do have a solution. There are other posts which apparently have worked for some but it won't for all for one simple reason. Prior to downloading the proper ORIGINAL-SONY NOTEBOOK UTILITIES ,under the NOTEBOOK CONTROL AND UTILITIES folder, make sure under the SELECT YOUR OPERATING SYSTEM option you select YOUR PREVIOUS VERSION OF WINDOWS and NOT Windows 7. Simply start the download and do the install. Your system will reboot twice since there are actually two parts to this installation and you should be up and running smoothly.

Here is Sony's E-support link. Sony eSupport - Electronics Follow these instructions if need be.

1. Enter model number in the specified field. Click CONTINUE.
2. Choose which region you're in.
3. Scroll down to DRIVERS AND SOFTWARE and click on SEE ALL FILE DOWNLOADS AVAILABLE FOR YOUR MODEL.
4. Now in the SELECT YOUR OPERATING SYSTEM field select YOUR PREVIOUS VERSION OF WINDOWS and NOT Windows 7.
5. Click on NOTEBOOK CONTROL AND UTILITIES then click on ORIGINAL-SONY NOTEBOOK UTILITIES.
6. Download and install and relax.

Last edited:
A/v control

hi tried doing evthng but my a/v control won turn on.Updated from vista 65 bit windows 7 ulimate 32 bit...everything works except a/v control tried installin driver plz helppppp :-(

vaio a/v control

Hey thanks for the update i tried it but i did not turn on my a/v control bar the only thing that came back was the web cam...i have a vaio vgn cs215j n updated vista home 64 bit t o wind 7 ultimate 32 bit plz help these keys not wrkin r driving me nuts.....

Hi all. This problem with Sony Vaio and Windows 7 - Function Keys not working any longer - drove me nuts but I do have a solution. There are other posts which apparently have worked for some but it won't for all for one simple reason. Prior to downloading the proper ORIGINAL-SONY NOTEBOOK UTILITIES ,under the NOTEBOOK CONTROL AND UTILITIES folder, make sure under the SELECT YOUR OPERATING SYSTEM option you select YOUR PREVIOUS VERSION OF WINDOWS and NOT Windows 7. Simply start the download and do the install. Your system will reboot twice since there are actually two parts to this installation and you should be up and running smoothly.

Here is Sony's E-support link. Sony eSupport - Electronics Follow these instructions if need be.

1. Enter model number in the specified field. Click CONTINUE.
2. Choose which region you're in.
3. Scroll down to DRIVERS AND SOFTWARE and click on SEE ALL FILE DOWNLOADS AVAILABLE FOR YOUR MODEL.
4. Now in the SELECT YOUR OPERATING SYSTEM field select YOUR PREVIOUS VERSION OF WINDOWS and NOT Windows 7.
5. Click on NOTEBOOK CONTROL AND UTILITIES then click on ORIGINAL-SONY NOTEBOOK UTILITIES.
6. Download and install and relax.

a v control...

Hi Kimical,,,i have updated my vgn cs215j from vista home 64 bit to win 7 ultimate 32 bit but my a/v control wont work,,i tried all updates n today after installin orignal utilities jus the web cam key stated workin..plz help im goin crazy ..sony support suks they dont know wt to do with this....

Also this fix works for vaio vgn-fe570g

also this fix works for vaio vgn-fe570g
tambien funciona para la vaio vgn-fe570g

i got it working now :)
install exactly in this order:
Download all sony drivers for vista
instal vaio event service
reboot
install sony dll utils
reboot
install sony shared library
reboot and it should work

Have same problem with others (me upgrade to win 7 from vista ) FN keys not working but since i done above suggestion all working well, BUT there is multimedia keys not working at all also no multimedia icon appeared on desktop. Here is my lappie spec Archived VGN-SR12G : SR Series : VAIO.

Is that the same sony utilities DLL wtih setting utility series ??
Please help me out here, i'v been spent all day along to find where can i get the solution.

Brief background: I recently upgraded from Windows Vista Business (64-bit) to Windows 7 Professional on my Sony VAIO VGN-Z46GD. As expected, most VAIO pre-installed applications were gone. Among these is VAIO Control Center. I really wanted to get this back because this is where you can enable Battery Care Function and the Special Buttons (S1 & S2).

To cut it short, I did a similar procedure like what lifeisfun posted.
- VAIO Event Service
Then I uninstalled VAIO Control Center, then rebooted, then installed it again.

I got it working now :)
Install exactly in this order:
Download all sony drivers for Vista
Instal Vaio event service
Reboot
Install Sony DLL Utils
Reboot
Install Sony shared Library
Reboot and it should work

Brief background: I recently upgraded from Windows Vista Business (64-bit) to Windows 7 Professional on my Sony VAIO VGN-Z46GD. As expected, most VAIO pre-installed applications were gone. Among these is VAIO Control Center. I really wanted to get this back because this is where you can configure the Battery Care Function and the Special Buttons (S1 & S2).

To cut it short, I did a similar procedure like what lifeisfun posted.
- Install: VAIO Event Service
- reboot
- Install: Sony Shared LIbraries
- reboot
- Uninstal:l VAIO Control Center
- reboot
- Install:l VAIO Control Center
- reboot

Notice that I skipped Sony DLL Utils. (will there be any problems by doing this?)

However, Battery Care function as well as the S1 and S2 buttons (even the special Eject button) are working.

Many thanks to lifeisfun!

Reboot
Install Sony DLL Utils
Reboot

I too clean installed my CS17G with W7 Pro from Vista Home Premium.
Installed the utilities provided by the Sony Support on this page, in the following sequence;

- Sony Shared Library
Reboot
- Battery Checker
Reboot
- Setting Utility Series
Reboot
- VAIO Control Center
Reboot
- VAIO Event Services
Reboot
- VAIO Launcher
Reboot

But now, facing issues;
1) After installing Battery Checker 4.0.0.05260, have been getting this error message;
The installed battery may not be properly connected to the computer or may not be compatible with this computer.

Click 'OK' to enter Hibernate mode and remove and re-insert the battery.
2) The Zoom FN Keys.
3) The Volume & AV Mode Touch Panel (screenshot enclosed)
4) 'CAPTURE' Button (screenshot enclosed)

Attachments

• Sony VAIO CS Series - Touch Panel.jpg
    Sony VAIO CS Series - Touch Panel.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 4,653
Hi Parry,

I also got my drivers and utilities from Sony Asia Pacific. Since you did a clean install, try re-installing in the same sequence as in the list.:

16. Sony Shared Library
17. Setting Utility Series
18. VAIO Event Service
19. VAIO Control Center
20. Battery Checker
21. VAIO Launcher

I hope this helps. Please let me know how it went because my friend has a CS17G and wants to switch to Windows 7.

I too clean installed my CS17G with W7 Pro from Vista Home Premium.
Installed the utilities provided by the Sony Support on this page, in the following sequence;

- Sony Shared Library
Reboot
- Battery Checker
Reboot
- Setting Utility Series
Reboot
- VAIO Control Center
Reboot
- VAIO Event Services
Reboot
- VAIO Launcher
Reboot

But now, facing issues;
1) After installing Battery Checker 4.0.0.05260, have been getting this error message;

2) The Zoom FN Keys.
3) The Volume & AV Mode Touch Panel (screenshot enclosed)
4) 'CAPTURE' Button (screenshot enclosed)

Hi VGNZ46GD,

Thanks for your reply, actually I installed them in the order they were given for download & not as per given in the list. This could be the reason for conflict too. Will try out & update for sure.

But another thing, when I go into the Vaio Launcher Settings from the Vaio Control Center I am getting it in chinese language, here's a screen shot for reference. Also, on installing Battery Checker have been getting error message (screenshot attached), so should I install that too?

Hi Parry,

I also got my drivers and utilities from Sony Asia Pacific. Since you did a clean install, try re-installing in the same sequence as in the list.:

16. Sony Shared Library
18. VAIO Event Service
19. VAIO Control Center
20. Battery Checker
21. VAIO Launcher

I hope this helps. Please let me know how it went because my friend has a CS17G and wants to switch to Windows 7.

Attachments

• VAIO Launcher.jpg
    VAIO Launcher.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 4,737
  • Battery Error.jpg
    Battery Error.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 2,875
hi Parry,

It seems your Vaio Launcher is in Japanese. That's weird. :confused:

Anyway, the battery message you're getting might have something to do with the ISB Utility (isbmgr.exe). I went to some forums and some people just disable it.

isbmgr.exe - What is isbmgr.exe?
"isbmgr.exe is a process which belongs to Sony's ISB Utility. "This program is a non-essential process, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems."

Hi VGNZ46GD,

Thanks for your reply, actually I installed them in the order they were given for download & not as per given in the list. This could be the reason for conflict too. Will try out & update for sure.

But another thing, when I go into the Vaio Launcher Settings from the Vaio Control Center I am getting it in chinese language, here's a screen shot for reference. Also, on installing Battery Checker have been getting error message (screenshot attached), so should I install that too?

Hi VGNZ46GD,

Yeah that what is surprising. Will try to download the same version from Vaio Launcher from somewhere else.
Also, to re-install all these utilities should I uninstall them in first place or just go ahead. In my control panel I can only see;

Setting Utility Series
VAIO Control Center
VAIO Event Service
VAIO Launcher

For now, have disabled the Battery Checker from ISB Ultility from the startup.
Could it be that I installed them in this order, hence am the issue with Battery Checker as well;

Sony Shared Library
Battery Checker 4.0.0.05260
Setting Utility Series 5.0.0.08060
VAIO Control Center 4.0.0.07280
VAIO Event Service 5.0.0.08040
VAIO Launcher 3.0.0.07150

hi Parry,

It seems your Vaio Launcher is in Japanese. That's weird. :confused:

Anyway, the battery message you're getting might have something to do with the ISB Utility (isbmgr.exe). I went to some forums and some people just disable it.

isbmgr.exe - What is isbmgr.exe?
"isbmgr.exe is a process which belongs to Sony's ISB Utility. "This program is a non-essential process, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems."

Since you did a clean install, try re-installing in the same sequence as in the list.:

16. Sony Shared Library
18. VAIO Event Service
19. VAIO Control Center
20. Battery Checker
21. VAIO Launcher

No luck, things still remain the same.

I have a VGN-BX760 and installed Win7 and hotkeys dint work..Installed Sony Utility at Sony® Notebook Utilities for Microsoft® Windows Vista®and works great now!! The file name is SOOOTH-40300000-US.EXE. Takes a few minutes to load and is @50MB...good luck..Love WIN7 much better than Vista crap!

Reboot
Install Sony DLL Utils
Reboot

thank you very much for this
Instal Vaio event service update for vista solved my problem
pc: vaio-vgn-s480
system: w7 ultimate 32 bit

This worked to get function keys back on my VGN-FW390

Thanks audilak! Following your specific steps restored all function keys on my VAIO VGN-FW390 after a fresh install of Win 7 Professional 64-bit. I too had all of the drivers already installed before this...didn't uninstall anything, just reinstalled the Event Service and Shared Library (rebooting after each one). Used the Win 7 Prof 64-bit version of each from the Sony Support site. I didn't get any messages about an incorrect install.

My VAIO is now back to it's correct state in Win 7.

Hey guys, registered an account just to share my experience. All your posts were very helpful, I have a Vaio vgn-FW455J and recently put on windows 7 64-bit, had the same problems with Fn and volume control keys. Already had most, if not all driver files installed. Did this and it worked.

Install Event Service

Restart

Install Shared Library

Presto bango, window opens after Shared library install, saying it didn't install correctly. Tried the volume and brightness with that window open and it worked. Funny, the only time I saw that window was when it started working.

Hello,

Thanks to audilak's guide, I have successfully restored the missing Fn buttons functions on my VGN-FZ31MR (Windows 7, 32 bit). I will add some details on what applciations I used. So, the to-do list remains the same:

1. Install Event Service (VAIO Event Service 3.3)
  2. Restart
  3. Install Shared Library (Sony Shared Library 4.1)
  4. Restart
I downloaded the "Original Utilities Package" from the Sony Support site (VAIO Sony Europe).

Back
Top Bottom