Windows 7 Sony Vaio "FN" Keys

Unseen

I have a Sony Vaio VGN-AW190 that originally came with Vista Home 64bit. I installed Windows 7 (clean install) 64bit.

The problem is the special buttons are not working at all (eject, S1, S2, multimedia, AV Mode, onscreen display such as when you adjust volume or brightness), etc. I did install Sony Notebook utility drivers/software from that model's driver page (sonystyle.com). I rebooted as it instructed to do during install. The main software were the notebook utilities, but I installed almost everything on the list. I tried 3 times now. Still do not work.

Any suggestions on this? Any alternatives?

Just for clarification, I installed the 64 bit Vista Ultimate versions of the drivers/software. Also, these all worked fine when I did a simple upgrade from the original Vista recovery CD's. However, you all know the deal with bloatware and that clean installs are better.

I installed the necessary software that *normally* would make all these fn keys work:
Original - Sony® Notebook Utilities

Recently loaded W7 64 Bit Ultimate Build 7068 on my Vaio Z36GD. Experiencing same issues as you report, and I also have not been able to resolve yet. No show stoppers yet in my limited testing, but I miss Eject and Volume FN keys. Strangely, FN-F2 for mute does work as does FN-NUM-LK for SCR LK. (FN keys for page up/down/home/end all work too) Same for you?

Same issue here, VGN-S660P. Have tried installing just about every driver imaginable, including in compatibility mode.

I got it working now :)
Install exactly in this order:
Download all sony drivers for Vista
Instal Vaio event service
Reboot
Install Sony DLL Utils
Reboot
Install Sony shared Library
Reboot and it should work

Reboot
Install Sony DLL Utils
Reboot

Wow! This worked great! Thanks so much. I had installed all of these already, but I guess doing it exactly in that order and rebooting after each one is key.

Nice it worked for me too. Has anyone figured out how to configure the S1 S2 keys? it seems mine is automatically set to s1=medium brightness and s2=windows media center. If anyone knows how to do this please let me know! Thanks!

Reboot
Install Sony DLL Utils
Reboot

Thank you SO MUCH for this, it worked like a charm! This was pretty much the only thing that I hadn't gotten to work on 7 after moving from XP... thanks again, this tip should be more well known.

Same problem, different laptop

I'm experiencing the same thing, but on a Dell Inspiron E1505. I'm going to try installing a Dell System Tools disk, and I'll update after that.

If that doesn't work, any ideas? All the drivers I needed for my computer to be 100% functional were automatically downloaded; the display adapter driver that was downloaded by Windows matches the one I have..... :confused:

Also, I can adjust my brightness until my display turns off and my laptop is unplugged (eg. taking my computer on-the-go while hibernating/sleeping). After that, the screen is dim, yet the control panel says I have my brightness set to max.

Reboot
Install Sony DLL Utils
Reboot

Hey guys. I'm still a little confused about what to do. So do I go to sony online care, download all the drivers for vista OS? Then, where can I get the Vaio event service and DLL Utils and Shared Library? This recommendation looks great, but I'm just a little confused as to where I can get everything. If you could help, it would be much appreciated. Thanks so much!

-Steven

AWESOME. Thanks so much for helping me Kemical. The only thing I want to ask before I go forward is do I need to get 64 bit drivers? Or do the ones on my product page (vgn-sz750n) suffice? Thanks again for the help, I really appreciate it.

If you'll be using a 64bit os then you'll need 64bit drivers. If no 7 drivers are available then vista ones will do (or should do)..
If you post a link to your product page I'll check the drivers over for you if need be...
:)

No worries, glad to help. The drivers look fine although they are for vista but should work fine under 7. If something doesn't seem to work... Remember that Windows update will often find drivers and is worth trying in case of any hitches.
Post again if you need any other help... :)

Hi all,

I have a VGN-AR71S European model (which is similar to US model VGN-AR790U, I think), was initially delivered with Vista home premium, and I tried to install Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit, and download all the 64 bit drivers and followed all the steps given here, everything is working properly; ....except somehow I am unable to get these keys (eject, s1,s2, fn+) working,

...what I am doing wrong............help please...

Last edited:
Dear Kemical,

I Did already for few times:

Download all sony drivers for Vista and install,
Reboot
Install Sony DLL Utils
Reboot

but still the button like eject, s1, s2, and Fn+ are not working...even though I download the necessary software from European and US sport site ( VGN-AR790U similar model from EU)....:confused: :mad:

Back