Windows 7 Sony Vaio "FN" Keys

Hi Storey1220,
sorry i didn't answer earlier as I've been out all evening... hic!

I found a different download location for the third link which can be found here:

Download Sony Video Shared Library 3.5.0 - UpdateStar.com

The a different link for the first can be found here ( it's written in blue, under 'software')

[Drivers & Software] Only the Newest versions! - Notebook Forums and Laptop Discussion

Fingers crossed that these links work a little better for you..:)

Thanks Kemical....... you were very prompt and really helpful !!! Unfortunately, my model of the Sony Vaio (PCG-FRV25) is too old to have any of the files you mentioned in order to get the Fn keys working. The Event Service file installed perfectly but the Sony Utilities DLL file appears to be model specific and therefore doesn't install on my laptop. I tried looking for model unspecific files but was unable to find any. Could you suggest something as a work around for getting the Fn keys working ? Thanks again for being so willing to help.

I found this page which has a list of xp drivers for your model...

Sony eSupport - PCG-FRV25 - Software Updates & Drivers

I'm wondering that if you download the needed driver but before you install it, right-click, choose properties and then compatibility. Choose the setting for xp sp2 and hopefully it might install?

That's how I have been installing all the driver files....under compatibility mode. Unfortunately, I don't know what would be the equivalent to the Sony Utilities DLL file within these list of files. Any suggestions ?

What about the two I've opened up? (in the screenshot) I'm not too sure which one it is either..sorry...

I need help. Can't get it to work. I have a vaio vgn-sz740.. Where can I download the Utilities DLL? The one you posted is for windows xp and wont work. I cant find it on the website either.. can only find shared library and VES

Thanks

Have you tried installing it using the compatibility tab? I think that's how storey1220 has done it...

Thanks Kemical for all your help with my aggravating computer needs !!

They continue to be aggravating but I think I'll give it a rest since it doesn't seem that Sony has released any files for my particular laptop that would enable the Fn keys.

I did try your suggestion of replacing the Sony DLL Utilities file with the Sony Device Driver file but with no success. I guess, even with the proper files there was no assurance of success.....so I'm glad I atleast tried it out.

The unfortunate thing is that the graphics card on the laptop is so old that the windows slider bar for brightness doesn't show up in the Control Panel section under Power Options...so I'm stuck with a default degree of brightness....workable but not ideal.

I'll keep following this thread to see if there are any new developments.

Thanks.

hi, im having the same problem but on a Sony Vgn NW 11 S/S..... after i installed win 7 ultimate my fn key stopped plus i can seem to find the other vaio softwares

I got it working now :)
Install exactly in this order:
Download all sony drivers for Vista
Instal Vaio event service
Reboot
Install Sony DLL Utils
Reboot
Install Sony shared Library
Reboot and it should work

I'm having the same problem with VGN-SZ770N. I appreciate the information you provided, but could you please give me a link as to where to download all these drivers? I have been circling around Sony's website and their support page with no luck! Please Help!

I installed Windows 7 last week and am experiencing similar problems to those mentioned previously in thread.

My Sony Vaio is model VGN-FZ21Z 32 bit (18 months old PC).

Following installation my brightness control could not be altered, however sorted this with graphics card download.

Am left with Fn keys not working and cannot use volume button. I emailed Sony but they only seem to be supporting more recent PCs to mine! Not impressed!

My question is - I have printed out the steps (above) to follow, in order to follow details. Do I do exactly the steps listed for my individual PC or look for my model under Vista downloads?

Also, do I need to download every single download listed for Vista or just the ones listed separately under Drivers?

I'm not techy at all but would be really grateful for your help. As I mentioned previously, I did download the Nvidia graphics driver so shouldn't need to repeat this step.

Would be really grateful for any help with getting my PC fully working again.

its not working for me either. i installed windows 7 on vgn-fz430e 32 bit. everything is working fine except for my FN keys. can someone find me the links i need and what order? i tried the links before but idk if they were compatible with my comp.

Hello guys

The solution worked but in a sort of funny way.

The keys like FN+ F5 and F6 work all right for the brightness.

The F2-F4 ones, on the other hand do work (the icons like "muted" show up, and the volume meter on the screen goes up and down) BUT it does not influent the sound volume in any way.
The sound volume is actually controlled by Windows 7 controls, and when you mute by Fn+F2 the sound does not mute at all. Again, if you mute the sound by pressing the icon in system tray and after that try to un-mute it by Fn+F2 it will show the "unmute" icon and will even beep, but the sound does not actually turn on :)

So, waiting for any kind of thoughts on such an issue. The model is VGN-SZ2HRP/B

Thanks Kemical....... you were very prompt and really helpful !!! Unfortunately, my model of the Sony Vaio (PCG-FRV25) is too old to have any of the files you mentioned in order to get the Fn keys working. The Event Service file installed perfectly but the Sony Utilities DLL file appears to be model specific and therefore doesn't install on my laptop. I tried looking for model unspecific files but was unable to find any. Could you suggest something as a work around for getting the Fn keys working ? Thanks again for being so willing to help.
Hi Story1220,
Did you manage to get the Fn key functions working? I have several PCG FRV 20 and 30 series VAIOs and do have the files that you need. They work to control the volume, brightness etc. There are three files that have to be installed in the correct order. Let me know if you need help. Regards spokes2.

workaround fn-keys

after searching for a long time I came accross this solution in a different forum:

use "windowskey"+"x"

in Win7 to start the mobility-center

"tab" to select your choise, then right left arrow keys

for me it works

Thanks bugmenot, your instructions seem to work for me.

Still have non-working FN keys and volume button though.

Have seriously looked at the instructions for loading Sony drivers for Fn buttons in this thread.

However, they are much too daunting for my non-techie head to resolve, and I'm not brave enough to try!

Back