Windows 7 Sony Vaio "FN" Keys

Vgn fz 31m

Hello ,
I had o my laptop Windows Vista, and now I upgraded to Windows 7. I have some problems with the FN key that doesn't work, with the volume keys, and also with the card reader drivers. I read on another forum that SONy does not have drivers for the card reader for Windows 7 :(. Can you please help me?

Hello, Kind of late to the thread

I have a Gateway P-173X FX Computer and I'm having similar. My volume won't work while in games, my wireless adapter stays on even if the switch is off, but heres the kicker, the bluetooth still goes on and off properly with the wireless switch.
This all occured after doing a clean install of Windows 7 64-bit, which was an upgrade from the factory installed windows vista 64-bit.
I've already installed all of the drivers gateway has on their support page for my computer.
Any help would be appreciated.

I have a Gateway P-173X FX Computer and I'm having similar. My volume won't work while in games, my wireless adapter stays on even if the switch is off, but heres the kicker, the bluetooth still goes on and off properly with the wireless switch.
This all occured after doing a clean install of Windows 7 64-bit, which was an upgrade from the factory installed windows vista 64-bit.
I've already installed all of the drivers gateway has on their support page for my computer.
Any help would be appreciated.

If you have already tried the drivers from Gateway then check see if a bios update is outstanding or try installing the drivers under compatibilitymode.. Other than that you may have to wait until some updated drivers are released by Gateway.... Another tip would be to find a users forum for your type of machine and see what other users have got up to?

VGN SZ2/XP and any FN Key

Hey Everybody,
I have upgraded to W7 professional. Does anyway has a solution for the FN Keys and also the Laptop Webcam . I tried the Vista drivers but no positiv result....
Did anyone already succeed ?:(
Need support

Hi ott1967,
I think some have been successfull and some not, you'll just have to check the previous posts to see who.. Have you tried posting in a user forum for your particular lappie?

i've VGN-CS36G and hv updated w vista driver...
but there are some problems with the fn keys brightness and maybe webcam (i don't have the s/w for it)

i wonder if someone have solution for the brightness prblem....

the fn keys work amazing.. but when it comes to adjusting brightness i can't adjust it....
it starts with 0 and when i try to + or - it just hang on the 1.....

freshly installed windows 7, Fn keys not working.

I got VGN-FS980 sony vaio. Just installed windows 7 but Fn keys are not working. Would really appreciate if anyone solved this problem. thanx

hey, i've just installed windows 7 64bits on my vaio vgn-nr21s, and i'm really tired of googling..i've been gooogling all day loooong :pp

but i managed to solve my problems.

adjust brightness: install the correct driver for your video card, go to www.laptopvideo2go.com, download the correct package and don't forget to replace the modified .inf file on it..after installing it you'll be able to adjust brightness.

FN keys: i couldn't use any of the fn keys, but now all of them work. i don't use S1 or AV MODE keys, so these steps don't make them work. you'll have to download some apps and install them by this order, rebooting after each installation: 1. Install SFEP 2. Install Sony Shared Library 3. Install Setting Utility Series 4. Install Vaio Event Service. This worked perfectly for me. I think it applies to other Vaio models too. Try it. download the apps here: ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/PUB/VAIO/ORIGINAL/

MMC/SD reader: it wasn't working at all after installing windows, so i had to install the driver for vista x64..drivers for 32 bits versions of windows won't work, i guess. uploaded it myself. for the card reader in my model: Windows.rar . there are drivers for ricoh and other mmc/sd readers here: ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/PUB/VAIO/ORIGINAL/

yes i hv updated all of my driver......
excluding(bT and MMC)

i've install them all... and the fn keys works great.....
but only the brightness buttin that hangs up....
it won't go anywhere... just stuck at 1

hie

hey Kemical
it was gud to hear ur good find...may be u cud help me out with ur knowledge abt this problem...i have sony vaio VGN CR515E tht came shipped with windows vista home premium 32 bit..now i have updated my system to windows 7 ultimate 64 bit to make use of my ram more and to get better security features...now the problem is ive tried everything in the book to get my function keys and hot keys working but i got lil results...only the volume hot key are working function,keys for brightness controls are not working still...ive got from this forums where a guy did the same thing i mean installing x64 on 32 bit machine and he was also facing the same shit but when he downgraded to 32 bit he was able to use them with the trick ur offering...can plzz advice me do i need to downgrade as well to 32 bit....or should i wait for sony to release something...i mean i can wait coz its not a big thing but just wanna know if this is foreseable in the future?
would appreciate ur advice on this....
thnxxx

I guess it's a case of can you do without those keys... Have you tried running windows update? Or try compatibility mode?

I too have this same problem. I have windows 7 ultimate x86 (32 bit) installed on my Sony Vaio VGN-S360. I have a fresh install, did the procedure as outlined on here, and my fn keys don't work. I then tried doing it again, but this time in compatibility mode. Again, nothing. Kind of at a loss without them, as brightness and volume controls are impossible otherwise.

Hi, I'm also having problems with the FN keys on my Sony VAIO VGN-SZ32GP laptop on Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit. I had previously spent a load of time looking for all sorts of drivers for Vista Ultimate 32-bit to get everything working (and it finally did) but since I upgraded to Windows 7, I tried everything to enable the FN keys in vain... I've installed the utilities recommended in this thread, with all Windows updates, but still no good.
This is a pretty old Asian model, so some of the "original" SZ-series drivers/utilities (given in the ftp site above) are pretty old, but both new and old versions of drivers don't work. I was so sick of this, I even tried an automated driver-updater (Driver Genius Pro Edition) but the updated drivers are still no-go. :'(
But if everything was able to work with Vista, then theoretically the same drivers should be compatible with Win7, right?
Please, any help would be SOOOO much appreciated!

As I've suggested before, check bios updates, try drivers running in compatibility mode or search for other drivers via google. Another possible source for solutions could be the sony viao users forum or similar.
If you require help searching for drivers I certainly help but I'm currently away from home and only have limited net use. I'm back tomorrow though so will look in then..

As I've suggested before, check bios updates, try drivers running in compatibility mode or search for other drivers via google. Another possible source for solutions could be the sony viao users forum or similar.
If you require help searching for drivers I certainly help but I'm currently away from home and only have limited net use. I'm back tomorrow though so will look in then..

Thanks for the quick reply~ But I've tried to run all the drivers I could find in Win XP SP2 compatibility mode and still no-go (although when I previously got the FN keys working on Vista, I didn't have to do anything with compatibility). My BIOS is fully up-to-date. I don't really know what kind of drivers I would need to search on Google because I've installed everything I can think of - both drivers and utilities. Also, as far as I can tell (and from other forums I've searched) Sony VAIOs seem to require utility installations (such as event service) rather than driver installations to get the FN keys working.
But still no-go :(

Hi 'khaidoba',

This solution is twice earlier in this thread from other Users w/ Sony Vaios & the same issue/query. I am putting it here, again, for your use. I beginning to think we should make this resolution a Sticky.

Anyway, here is the remedy/solution...

Install exactly in this order:
Download all sony drivers for Vista
Instal Vaio event service
Reboot
Install Sony DLL Utils
Reboot
Install Sony shared Library
Reboot and it should work

Thanks,
Drew

Thanks, but I've tried this already and it still won't work. I obtained the files through the official Sony support pages, but as my computer model was originally designed for XP, the provided utilities/drivers are designed for XP - this might be why this isn't working. But since I was able to get it working on Vista before (by downloading and testing out a whole bunch of drivers from all over the web - which I unfortunately have since deleted), I know I'm just missing the few essential drivers... :S
If anyone can point me out specifically to someplace I can perhaps download updated versions of the above drivers/utilities compatible with my model (and not just from the official Sony support site) then I would be very grateful. Again, my model is the VGN-SZ32GP running Windows 7 32-bit.

Back