rajuRoshan

Hey I've a Lenovo m73 tower work station..

Recently after a fresh window install, My sound output is not working.. It just shows no output devices found even though I've a internal speaker and headphone pluged in..

After that I also had issue with usb port as usb devies are not working. I've to reboot to get pen drive work.. And now even though I haven't pluged anything in usb I'm getting power surge on usb port..

I'm using ps2 keyboard and mouse and nothing pluged into the system.

I found that if i disable usb 3 root from device manager, The unknow usb error and power surge error go away..

Please help me out... I'm struggling from several weeks..

Attachments

• Annotation 2024-09-29 083041.webp
    41.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Annotation 2024-09-29 083153.webp
    28.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2024-10-03 223244.webp
    58.4 KB · Views: 0
Solution
Hello rajuRoshan,
I appreciate the update, and I understand how frustrating this must be. Let’s try some additional troubleshooting steps to get your sound and USB issues fixed.

Additional Steps for Sound Issue​

1. Audio Troubleshooter:
    • Go to Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot.
    • Click on Additional troubleshooters and select Playing Audio. Run the troubleshooter and follow the instructions provided.
  2. Reinstall Audio Drivers:
    • In Device Manager, right-click on your audio device under Sound, video and game controllers and select Uninstall device. Reboot your computer, and Windows should automatically reinstall the audio...
Hello rajuRoshan,
It sounds like you're experiencing a frustrating combination of audio and USB issues after a fresh Windows install on your Lenovo M73 workstation. Let's break this down step by step to find some solutions.

Sound Not Working​

1. Driver Installation: It's crucial to ensure that all the necessary drivers are installed. Go to the Device Manager:
    • Press Win + X and select Device Manager.
    • Expand Sound, video and game controllers.
    • If there's a yellow exclamation mark on your audio device, you'll need to install or update the driver. You can download the latest audio driver directly from the Lenovo support website here.
  2. Audio Services: Ensure that your audio services are running:
    • Press Win + R, type services.msc, and press Enter.
    • Find the Windows Audio service and ensure it’s running. If not, right-click and select Start.
  3. Playback Devices: Right-click on the sound icon in the system tray and select Playback devices. Ensure that your internal speaker and headphone are set as the default device. If they're not showing up, it’s likely a driver issue.

USB Issues​

1. Power Surge and Unknown Device: The power surge message often indicates a problem with the USB port or connected devices. Since you're using a PS/2 keyboard and mouse, try the following:
    • Temporarily remove all USB devices and check if the surge message persists.
    • Check the USB connections and ports for any visible damage or debris.
  2. Disabling USB 3.0: You noted that disabling the USB 3.0 root hub from Device Manager alleviates the issues with USB. This should be a temporary fix. You might want to consider:
    • Updating the USB 3.0 drivers, which can also be found on the Lenovo support website.
    • Checking for motherboards firmware updates (BIOS), which can sometimes resolve hardware compatibility issues.
  3. USB Settings in BIOS: Restart your computer and enter the BIOS setup (usually by pressing F1, F2, or Delete during startup). Look for USB settings and ensure they are correctly set. Sometimes, enabling or disabling legacy USB support can resolve these issues.

Summary​

• Make sure to update your drivers for both audio and USB functions.
  • Verify the status of the audio service.
  • Check USB ports and connections for physical issues.
  • Consider potential firmware updates for the motherboard.
If symptoms persist even after trying the above solutions, please let me know, and we can explore more advanced troubleshooting steps. Good luck!

nah..
sound still didn't work still show no output devices even though i have internal speakers.. window services are running..
Usb issue still persist.. even after bios legacy changes...

Hello rajuRoshan,
I appreciate the update, and I understand how frustrating this must be. Let’s try some additional troubleshooting steps to get your sound and USB issues fixed.

Additional Steps for Sound Issue​

1. Audio Troubleshooter:
    • Go to Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot.
    • Click on Additional troubleshooters and select Playing Audio. Run the troubleshooter and follow the instructions provided.
  2. Reinstall Audio Drivers:
    • In Device Manager, right-click on your audio device under Sound, video and game controllers and select Uninstall device. Reboot your computer, and Windows should automatically reinstall the audio driver.
  3. Check System Volume and Settings:
    • Make sure the system volume isn't muted. Right-click the sound icon in the system tray and open Volume Mixer to verify.
    • Go to Settings > System > Sound. Under Output, make sure the correct device is selected.
  4. Unity of Sound Hardware:
    • If available, try using any different audio output or try plugging your headphones into another device is to ensure the issue isn’t hardware-related.

Additional Steps for USB Issue​

1. Check USB Power Management:
    • In Device Manager, under Universal Serial Bus controllers, right-click on each USB Root Hub and select Properties.
    • Go to the Power Management tab and uncheck Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.
  2. Event Viewer Checking:
    • Press Win + X and select Event Viewer. Check under Windows Logs > System for any error messages related to USB devices. This might give us clues as to what's happening.
  3. Run USB Troubleshooter:
    • Similar to audio troubleshooting, go to Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot. Check if there’s a troubleshooter for USB issues, and run it to see if it can identify the problem.
  4. Replace USB Cables and Ports:
    • If any devices are using cables, try different cables or ports. Inspect the USB ports for any damage or debris.
  5. Consider USB Hub Issues:
    • If you're using a USB hub, try connecting directly to the computer USB ports instead. Hubs can sometimes introduce complexities with power management.

If All Else Fails​

If you've tried all of the above without success, it may be worthwhile to consider:
  • Resetting Windows: A last resort would be to reset Windows or perform a clean install, but this should be done with caution and only after backing up your important data.
  • Hardware Inspection: Check with a technician to see if there may be an underlying hardware issue, particularly with the motherboard or sound card.
Let me know how these steps work for you or if the situation changes! If you have any more details or errors to share, feel free to provide that information too.

Solution