Windows XP sound stutter on windows xp

kasfig

Dear Forum members.
Please can anyone advise. On the pentium 4 system, there is some stutter on the sound. For example , playing audio CD's through Windows Media Player 11 or earlier . I tried installing VLC media player to use instead of Windows media player and noticed playing the same CD there was no stutter. However I also notice when closing down the PC the "Close down " fanfare also has stutter.
Please can anyone advise what may be the problem. Is it hardware or software. Also please can anyone advise.
Best wishes and thanks
Ian

9 times out of 10 its software but a pci or scuzzy soundcard can sometimes make that happen as well.

In any event I'd uninstall all sound audio i.e. media-player, itunes, chrome and VLC then put one (only) back on...

p.s. For whats its worth I use "Zoom Player FREE" on my xp machine because its free and and very compatable with all my systems... I have xp, 7 64bit/ 32 bit, 8 & 8.1 running itunes.

Dear USSNorway
Thank you for troubling to reply to my query.
I shall try your suggestion.
Do you suggest also uninstall the audio drivers as well as the media players
I notice Windows Media Player 11 wont uninstall. Rather when one "uninstalls" it, it simply "rolls back" to Windows Media Player 9. Can one uninstall Windows Media Player 9?
Also as mentioned in my post, I notice there is stutter not just when playing music etc but also the Windows System "close down" sound also stutters. Does this not suggest it might be more than just software?
With kind regards
Ian

1}
Do you suggest also uninstall the audio drivers as well as the media players
Yes
I notice Windows Media Player 11 wont uninstall. Rather when one "uninstalls" it, it simply "rolls back" to Windows Media Player 9. Can one uninstall Windows Media Player 9?

Yes... roll it back then remove it.

2}
Also as mentioned in my post, I notice there is stutter not just when playing music etc but also the Windows System "close down" sound also stutters. Does this not suggest it might be more than just software?
no because;
I tried installing VLC media player to use instead of Windows media player and noticed playing the same CD there was no stutter.

This makes it software.

Back
Top Bottom