Windows 7 Southbridge major issue ICH9 not willing to update

honsbeek

Hi there,

I just got a new Windows 7 Version 6.1 (7600 Build) copy and it's going smoothly so far.
I have a little old board ASUS p5k, no Windows 7 drivers available on there driver help site.

I keep getting a yellow Exclamation mark in my "Device Manager"
Location seems to be "Intel(R) ICH9 LPC Interface Controller - 2918"

I went to the intel site and downloaded and installed this :

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18494&ProdId=816&lang=eng

It should have taken care of the conflict , but still yellow exclamation .

Anything I could be doing wrong ?

Northbridge = P35 / Southbridge is ICH9

Thank you

PS. This forum is getting better , got a lot of cool feedback , thanks in advance

Ralph

Last edited:
Hi again TorrentG ,

Bios was already up to date ,

I tried what you said , however it states that newer software is already installed .

I want to clean it and try again from scratch , ... The newer installed drivers are sticky and stubborn , how do I get them to go away !! ^^

Ralph

Use the device manager to update the particular device with the problem. Right click it. Choose update driver software. Browse my computer. Let me pick. Have disk. Browse.

Now find and double click on the appropriate .inf file for it in the extracted driver folder. Hit ok then next and it will install.

Torrent G you help is much appreciated . however what you suggested did not work .

When I try to search for the drivers manually and select the folder they are clearly located , a message says something like " Unknown device , cannot install" or "cannot find the software for that device"

The exclamation mark persists ... The folder that sould contain the right Windows 7 drivers have about 28 files in them...

As far as you last question, you might check this Intel site.

Otherwise, do you use the Infra Red device? I haven't found an infra red connector on your board, but that seems to be referenced in searches.

Have you tried disabling it in the bios?

I will assume you have uninstalled the device and rebooted.

Your download link does not seem to go the the correct page, but it seems you can't link to the exact page. I show a version 9 chipset driver for that board on the ASUS site is good for Win 7.

Last edited:
Thanks for your kind feedback ,

I tried to remove the device entirely but after re-boot it just keeps coming back , and update to that Windows 7 device drivers does not work , I need to know how to pry the wrong driver out , and start from scratch.

Apparently when installing this version of Windows 7 , it comes with a Intel Chipset driver but it leaves me a yellow exclamation mark , how to delete the drivers so it will recognize the correct drivers ?

Ralph

The driver for mine, which is a 3A16 shows it uses the machine.inf file for setup info and the msisadrv.sys is the driver.

It seems to be related to the ACPI system and should be under the System Devices heading in Device Manager.

Whenever I load the Intel Chipset drivers, which I do, it goes through this process where you can watch it being installed. You may want to run it as admin to see if it completes if it has not yet done so.

I have attached a picture of part of my System Devices entries so you can see where it should go and how the other entries might look. You should be showing specific chipset entries if the Intel Driver has been installed correctly.

Attachments

• Chipset.GIF
    Chipset.GIF
    20.4 KB · Views: 797
Please see picture ,

I have the "Intel(R) ICH9 LPC Interface Controller - 2918" both in the System section , aswell

as in the "unknown Device" section ... When I right click and properties the unknown device

a mention of "Intel(R) ICH9 LPC Interface Controller - 2918" is given as a description.

I have no clue what to do with this now ...

Attachments

• intel chipset.jpg
    intel chipset.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 3,214
Did you update the bios yet? That's the likely cause.

After updating the bios, then install using the device manager as I said, pointing to machine.inf.

Use the device manager to update the particular device with the problem. Right click it. Choose update driver software. Browse my computer. Let me pick. Have disk. Browse.

Now find and double click on the appropriate .inf file for it in the extracted driver folder. Hit ok then next and it will install.

Do as TorrentG suggests above but do this little trick I've discovered. Download the driver file here: Multi language: infinst911autol.exe Link Removed due to 404 Error

Then use 7zip to extract the .exe to it's own folder and guide the "Update Driver Software" to that folder and it should then update and install.

It will search that folder and all sub-folders and find the proper .inf files.

Your trick is quite neat , however I tried that already and the

Driver update - find the files yourself option is telling me "unknown device" yet again.

I fear this is a dead end , and I don't want to ask more help than patience will permit.

It no doubtibly has to do with Windows 7 and the incompatibility of the older p5k Board.

I am needing to get a newer one , I am thinking ....

There might be a possibility the unknown device is not what you think it is. I believe your system has a JMicron controller. Do you show an entry in the Device Manager for it? Normally it is a separate driver and may not be necessary, but I do not know for sure.

I seem to have a little trouble seeing what your device manager attachment means. ;)

Attachments

• JMicro.GIF
    JMicro.GIF
    10.4 KB · Views: 538
Thanks for all the kind help ,

The problem is about to be resolved , funny that if it was a RAID controller showing up as a Intel Chipset controller , I checked that option already .

I needing a Windows & compatible board ...

Again thanks for all the kind replies and patience , till the next problems .. ^^

- Ralph -

Just so you will know, I use the JMicron driver so I can run the 2 extra SATA ports as AHCI and use an eSATA drive like a USB so it is hot swappable. I run no RAID setups.

The fact you seem to have the LPC Interface Controller in your system devices and also showing up as an unknown device, does seem a little strange. The fact the unknown device is even identified is a little strange, since I do not think most unidentified devices show what they are.

Hopefully your new board will work better.

Back
Top Bottom