Space for backups

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by JimL, Oct 25, 2013.

1. JimL

JimL Member

Does anyone use the win7 backup? I tried twice, once on a drive with about 750 GB free and once with about 850 GB. Both times I got errors claiming there was not enough room on the drive to make a backup.

I've had numerous backups from 3rd party apps that show less than 3 GB. It looks to me like the built-in backup is just useless. Suggestions? Forget it?

JimL

2. patcooke

patcooke Microsoft MVP
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

I've always advocated Acronis True Image on the basis that an important issue like backing up is best handled by a well established reliable dedicated package and that for me is ATI.

3. davidhk129

davidhk129 Senior Member

I don't use files backup because I have no need to.
    I have a Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1.
    To test what you said, I have connected my external hard drive ( 578.51 GB free of 931.51GB ) to the computer and started a files backup.
    So far it is in "Backup in progress...." mode.
    I'll post back the result.

4. JimL

JimL Member

This may sound weird, but I could never get to where I could use Acronis. Its basic organization doesn't match my basic instincts. I just couldn't make it work. Probably because everything I did was the wrong thing to do.

JimL

5. JimL

JimL Member

I'm curious to hear what it turns up.

I don't know what you mean by "no need." I'm on Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1 (came with the laptop). Should I have "no need?"

My backup attempts also said "Backup in progress...." It took a long time to decide it couldn't do the job.

JimL

6. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522 Essential Member

7. patcooke

patcooke Microsoft MVP
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

My basic backup strategy is to partition the hard drive to a system drive to hold only op sys and installed apps and a second partition to store all user data. I then use Acronis to create an image of the entire system partition on the data partition then copy the entire data partition to an external hard drive.

Joe S likes this.
  8. JimL

JimL Member

I see in its description that it says it can clone a drive. Does that mean a bootable clone?

JimL

9. seekermeister

seekermeister Honorable Member

I have a definite preference for True Image, but I didn't want to buy another license for my third computer, so I've been trying Macrium Reflect for a while now:

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

For me, it seems intuitive enough, and I haven't found anything to object to, except that the free version doesn't do incremental or differential backups.

10. davidhk129

davidhk129 Senior Member

By " no need " means there are noting in the computer I need or want to keep. Therefore there is no need for me to do such task.

Result of files backup..... completed without a glitch.
    Image 4.

#10 davidhk129, Oct 25, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2013