Windows 7 Speed up Boot/Welcome screen

RAK

Extraordinary Member
I have just "blogged" this:

I was having a discussion on another forum, and got fascinated by an observation another member had made. If you use the default desktop, the welcome screen only stayed for 2 or 3 seconds. If you customised the desktop, this deteriorated to, in the worst cases, about 50 seconds.

I began to explore the startup procedures and finally got on the track of how to circumvent this. It is a matter of paths, and default pictures. If you would prefer your own custmised desktop, experiment with this.

1. I went to Windows - Web -Wallpaper - Windows. In there is a file called img0.jpg. I copied this, for safety, in case something went wrong, to img01.jpg. I took ownership of the file (This is neccessary for the next stage)
I then opened it in my Graphics program and played with it to get the theme I liked. Then I saved it back to its original place.
2. Next I pasted this to users -username -Appdata - Roaming - Microsoft - Windows - Themes.
3. Now I opened that folder and in there was a file called TranscodedWallpaper.jpg, which I renamed (Anything you like - just add a 1 to the end if you prefer). I then renamed the file I had just imported to TranscodedWallpaper.jpg.
Exit and reboot. Now, from the Welcome screen to desktop is pretty much instant.

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK - Backup first

Last edited:
Interesting. I use a slide show (of non-Windows standard pictures) for my wallpaper and I haven't experienced the long waits. After I type in my password, the welcome screen goes away and Windows loads up just fine. I'm not saying that you are incorrect, I'm just saying I haven't experienced this behavior. :)

I have no personal interest in customising the desktop, so I, also, was not aware of the problem I have no wish to operate the slide show to test your comment, but it is even odder if the slide show does not deteriorate from the welcome to desktop time!

Back