Windows 7 SSD 960gb and 700gb SSD pricing

But holy crap they eat up so much HDD space
Right. I have nothing against image files, but like any backups, if not current, you may end up way behind - even if only a week or two old. So you need to do full back ups almost every day, or at least incrementals (backup changed and new files only) in between fulls.

Also, there is always the potential the backup contains the malicious code or corrupted file(s) that hosed the system in the first place.

acronis tends to be pretty good for back ups right ? ( already have a licncse and have used it in the past) problem is if you glitch somthing in the reg and lose track of what was lost then its pretty hard to go back......

I will always take the easiest way out of the problem. I will not waste my time figuring out the issue if there is another easier option available for me. I don't do this for a living. Cheers!

My 3.8GHz i7, 16Gb RAM and Samsung Pro 256Gb SSD, W8 system takes less than 35 seconds to reboot. It takes about 1 min and 15 seconds to boot from full power off - most of the time, depending on the state of my system before reboot/shutdown.

My Win 8 takes 20 sec to reboot and 45 sec to boot from shutdown.
My Win 7 takes 35 sec to reboot and 50 sec to boot from shutdown.
Both running on SSDs too.

Cheers!

I will always take the easiest way out of the problem. I will not waste my time figuring out the issue if there is another easier option available for me. I don't do this for a living. Cheers!
It is not about doing this for a living, it is about not having to do it over and over again because the problem was never "fixed" in the first place. And more importantly, it is about security. Keeping our systems current is crucial to keep the badguys out and anytime you restore from backup, you risk being behind in security updates.

If they outsmart me bigtime... as I said, it only takes 15mins for me to solve the problem.
lol!

You assume the image is clean. A lot of malicious code sits patiently for weeks, months, or longer until activated.

You assume the image is current - and maybe yours is, but most people, sadly, don't do daily backups.

You assume reimaging a drive ensures the drive is clean. Nope!

And worst of all, you assume you will discover and reimage over the malware before it has time to do its thing. :(
I sure hope you don't keep any personal information, or do any banking or credit card shopping with this computer. Good luck if you do.

lol!

You assume the image is clean. A lot of malicious code sits patiently for weeks, months, or longer until activated.

You assume the image is current - and maybe yours is, but most people, sadly, don't do daily backups.

You assume reimaging a drive ensures the drive is clean. Nope!

And worst of all, you assume you will discover and reimage over the malware before it has time to do its thing. :(
I sure hope you don't keep any personal information, or do any banking or credit card shopping with this computer. Good luck if you do.
I just don't understand why you are under estimating me and my knowledge on this matter. That's no good. If my way is bothering you too much, you just have to deal with it yourself. I am not asking you to try to do it my way. I've been a PC user with no issues since desktops are invented . So I guess my way works for me. Thanks very much for the concern anyway. I think this thread was already "solved" by the OP.

Last edited:
I just don't understand why you are under estimating me and my knowledge on this matter. That's no good. If my way is bothering you too much, you just have to deal with it yourself.
I can only go by what you say. I cannot and will not guess about your knowledge. I can only say that security is not an "elementary" issue - ever. And I can say that you are not smarter or more clever than the badguys.

Your way is not bothering me - because your computer is not on my network or under my care. But I am bothered when a poster (you in this case) are suggesting to others your method is a good way to deal with security, or with infections. It is not. Sorry if that bothers you!

Imaging is only one step. I don't have to elaborate what I do before and after. I am not bothered at all. I am just puzzled. I wasn't suggesting anything. I was just saying. Cheers!

Last edited:
I don't have to elaborate what I do before and after.
Then I would ask you don't assume others can automatically fill in the blanks, or that they can assume your level of knowledge.

Other than that, I agree with your previous statement and the OP's problem is [hopefully] resolved.

well i orderd a i74770k and a sabertooth z87 the SSD 1tb wont be here for a wili , im going to start from a fresh install as my old install is plauged with reg problems would have started my new install on the SSD how ever if i dont delay it il likily be installing to one of the WD cavier green drives iv got - think its 1.5 tb or 2 my qustion is what mode should i go with in the bios and what not in regards to hdds and how do i set it that and someone mentioned migration software wouldn't have needed that but now i think i will given the time this will take for me to receive the drive

also in regards to SSDs i guess erly models had poor to limted write speeds but newer drives are improved ?

poor to limted write speeds
Poor? No. Limited? Yes. But not a problem with new SSDs.

As far as modes in the BIOS, I don't know what you mean. The defaults are fine.

As far as migration software - I'd rather do a fresh install but it is likely the SSD will come with software for that.

Poor? No. Limited? Yes. But not a problem with new SSDs.

As far as modes in the BIOS, I don't know what you mean. The defaults are fine.

As far as migration software - I'd rather do a fresh install but it is likely the SSD will come with software for that.

"AHCI"

cheers

Okay - but you really only need to mess with those if using RAIDs. You should not have to change them with a modern motherboard and modern OS - as both will already know how to optimize a SSD or HD.

you srue ? what about trim ? ether way one other thing in regards to getting all my drivers installed correctly i konw alot of the time users say" use the manufactures website" problem is tho i always seem to end up with these foreign peices of hardware ie things showing up in device manger as no driver software , im srue it will be the same with this new mobo.

In normal cases, one doesn't need to mess with BIOS at all - in the spirit of Digerati. Your mobo should identify your disk(s), I have a Sabertooth 990FX, never had problems, with two SSDs and a HDD.

If Windows installation doesn't recognize your SSD, you may use a partition program, like GParted, http://gparted.sourceforge.net/ , or AOMEI, http://download.cnet.com/AOMEI-Partition-Assistant-Standard-Edition/3000-18512_4-75118871.html in order to get your disk into NTFS.

Sometimes partitions are problematic.

Further adjustments of BIOS are a separate issue.

Last edited:
Back