Windows 10 SSD Disk Busy

Thanks for your reply Spirit Wolf. This is not a notebook, it's a desktop PC. I'm running Windows 10 Professional. I believe the Sata cable is Red and is plugged into SATA slot 1. My son updated my BIOS recently to the latest available for this motherboard. No I did not know that some SSDs required firmware updates.
Hey Frank, Happy New Year...

I can tell you are running a notebook of some sorts because your Crucial SSD drive is 2.5", but that is it...

Your notebook what are its specs, please?

The "busy signal" does that mean you cannot access the drive under what? Windows 10, Home/Pro?

Can that notebook handle a SATA III drive, if so, you might need to update your SATA I (or II) cable to the class III SATA cable.

Sometimes there might be a setting under the computer's BIOS that needs addressing.

Also, when was the last time you updated your firmware for your notebook/laptop? Especially your BIOS. The latest firmware install might correct your "busy signal".

Next, all Solid State Drives (SSDs), depending upon how long they have been sitting at the warehouse could need a firmware update themselves, did you know that some SSD drives REQUIRE FIRMWARE UPDATES?

Let us know...

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Attachments

• System Info Page 1.png
    System Info Page 1.png
    43.5 KB · Views: 150
  • System Info Page 2.png
    System Info Page 2.png
    46.1 KB · Views: 155
If I run devmgmt.msc, highlight my Crucial SSD drive and delete it will my PC still reboot? I didn't find any jumpers on the SSD.

Do you have AHCI enabled in your computer's BIOS? I also have a 500GB Crucial MX500 on an old laptop and I have no problem with it. The only problem I had, was to install it the first time, because it doesn't have a good management program like Samsung.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

Can you please explain about AHCI in the Bios. What is the significance of this? What does it do? How might if affect the Crucial SSD?
Also can someone please answer my previous question about whether my PC will still reboot if in devmgmt.msc I highlight my Crucial SSD drive and reboot will my PC still Start?

Can you please explain about AHCI in the Bios. What is the significance of this? What does it do? How might if affect the Crucial SSD?
Also can someone please answer my previous question about whether my PC will still reboot if in devmgmt.msc I highlight my Crucial SSD drive and reboot will my PC still Start?
Take a look here: HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - About SATA Hard Drives and Controller Modes | HP® Customer Support.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

In fact, I found that there is a software management tool for the MX500, the Crucial Storage Executive. You can download it from here: Crucial Storage Executive Tool | Firmware Download | Crucial.com .

It will let you see, more user friendly, the status of your ssd and it will also let you change a few settings for your ssd, that might increase its performance.
Attached you'll find a screenshot of CSE.
Crucial Storage Executive.jpg

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

When I go to device manager, I don't see the option to highlight and delete it. Is uninstall the device what you mean? I updated the driver and it indicates that the best one for my device is installed. It indicates that there may be a better on on the manufacturers website or in updates.

I downloaded and installed 'Crucial Storage Executive.' It indicates that the drive is in 'Good Health' and that the latest firmware is installed. 'Drive Details,' indicates the drive is in 'Good Health' with the latest driver installed i.e. 10.0.19041.488 (Standard SATA AHCI. I ran S.M.A.R.T and it indicates drive is in 'Good Health.' I ran 'Firmware Updates' and it indicates 'Installed firmware is uptodate.' I ran 'Device Self-Test' quick test indication is 'Good Health' no data lost. I ran the extended longer test that also showed no data loss and 'Good Health.' Those were all the things I felt safe running.

Okay Spirit Wolfe I did as you indicated. I highlighted the drive in device management and pressed delete key. It asked, 'If I was sure I wanted to uninstall the device?' I clicked on 'Yes'. It then informed me that 'I had to restart the PC now for the changes to take effect. Did I want to restart now? I clicked on 'Yes.' The PC restarted without any problem. and I immediately created a manual restore point. I checked device management and the driver for the SSD is there.

Thank you Spirit Wolfe and GDany for your help and suggestions here. I'll just have to wait now to see if this has fixed things. Thank you again.

Just got a freeze that lasted about 30 seconds.
Have you tried to do a chkdsk?
Open a command prompt, as an administrator (provided that your account is an administrator account), proceeding as follows:
1. In windows search box (the one in the lower left corner, on the taskbar, near the start menu icon), type cmd.
2. When "command prompt" shows, choose "run as administrator".
3. At the cmd prompt type:
Chkdsk [the problematic drive's letter followed by a colon] /f /r /x
The drive's letter followed by a colon is needed only if the problematic disk is not the system disk.
4. Press enter. It is possible that you'll get a message asking you if you want to check the drive the next time you restart the computer. Answer Yes, type exit and press enter. Reboot your computer and wait patiently for the chkdsk command to be executed. Depending on how much of your ssd is used, the command could take a long time (I read on a forum that checking a 2TB ssd with the same symptoms as yours, took about 48 hours, but it fixed the disk busy problem).

***IT IS NOT RECOMMENDED TO INTERRUPT chkdsk process. ***

Read more about the chkdsk command here: chkdsk

Let us know if it fixed the problem.

Last edited:
Hi GDany, I ran from cmd chkdsk /f /r /x, it took only about one hours to run. I still had a brief free since then.
Sorry to hear that it didn't help.
As I think I understand from the System Info pictures you posted, this was originally a gaming computer which had a different system disk, probably an m.2 ssd which was later replaced with the 2TB Crucial MX500. Am I right or not? If this is the case and especially if you say that your son updated the BIOS recently, I would go to the BIOS setup and I would try to "Load Optimized Defaults" in the Save & Exit menu.
If this also won't change anything in the behavior of your ssd, then you probably have a faulty drive.
Here is a link to your motherboard user manual: https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_b450m-ds3h_e.pdf

Sorry, I thought I had responded to that. Yes I ran chkdsk /f /r /x it took just a little more than an hour to run. The short 30 second freeze occurred after running the check disk. I haven't used the PC much since then. I'll have to watch for a awhile to see if it fixed the problem. But the freezes are related to the Disk Busy phenom-en.

Sorry, I thought I had responded to that. Yes I ran chkdsk /f /r /x it took just a little more than an hour to run. The short 30 second freeze occurred after running the check disk. I haven't used the PC much since then. I'll have to watch for a awhile to see if it fixed the problem. But the freezes are related to the Disk Busy phenom-en.
Oh, yes, you already sent us your results after the chkdsk test. What i suggested now is something else related to your computer bios. You did not read my previous message.
I suspect that the computer was used as a gaming computer before you got it and maybe changes were done in its bios. I only suggest to make a reset of the bios by loading its optimized settings.
Also, I did not realy understand what do you mean by Disk busy error and what is the difference between computer freeze and disk busy.

Back