Windows 10 start menu, cortana & action center issues

garan

I'm sure it's been asked before but I've yet to find an answer to my 2 issues though I suspect i know what happened.

1st: I'm unable to update to the latest version of 1607(patch KB3199209) I get the following error trying to manually update (0x80073712)

2nd: as stated in the title, I'm can't access Cortana, start menu or action center. Here's what I've tried so far based on research I've done(some from Microsoft itself I found on google)

A) DISM- i get error 14098 from that stating the component store has been corrupted
B) sfcscannow: error, windows resource protection could not perform the required operation
C) powershell...nothing
D) a string of commands which i didn't write down unfortunately that worked partially and then gave me an error
E) Standard troubleshooter app: Required applications are not installed correctly

I'm utterly confused atm and have no idea what steps to next as it seems I've tried everything there is to try. What MAY have happened is i believe the last update was on or near the 18th of October(Tuesday last) at which point, late at night my internet cut out, I rebooted then my power went out, then rebooted and my internet kicked me again before finally stabilizing, but the problem started after i manually shut down as I was having more issues and lost patience. All of that may have messed up the update and caused all these problems but i don't know for sure. Would appreciate some suggestions or ideas on what else i can try other than re-installing win 10 from scratch(I have the free version so not sure if I'll be able to do that now).

Thnx

Did you run DISM from an elevated command prompt?

Error 0x3712 is "The component store is corrupt"

Without a start menu, press {windows key + r], type cmd and press enter. Hold ctrl + shift and click on the cmd. It should open a command prompt elevated. Then run DISM /Online /Cleanup-image /restorehealth Upload the CBS log after C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

Did you run DISM from an elevated command prompt?

Error 0x3712 is "The component store is corrupt"

Without a start menu, press {windows key + r], type cmd and press enter. Hold ctrl + shift and click on the cmd. It should open a command prompt elevated. Then run DISM /Online /Cleanup-image /restorehealth Upload the CBS log after C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

i got error 87 with the following report as requested

Windows 10 should have that switch. Are you running this on a Windows 7 computer, or did you spell the command correctly?

i keep getting an error whe trying to transfer the cbs log here about not having an allowed extension...i hate this.

Looks like your offline component store is corrupt too (where dism repairs from) Your options are to try and repair from a Windows disc

First you would need to mount the wim or esd image like so
DISM.exe /Mount-Wim /WimFile:C:\test\images\myimage.wim /index:1 /MountDir:C:\test\offline
you need to create the MountDir location
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\test\offline

The other option would be to backup your data and do a clean install of Windows.

well damn! that didn't work either so it seems my only solution is to re-install windows 10 although I don't know if my free upgrade is grand-fathered( I can still get a free version) and I've no clue how I'll back up my data(I have 36 games installed and have no intention of re-installing them all again like I did after the win 10 upgrade...it's just too time consuming and a royal pain.) If I had an ssd large enough I could back it up there or had I had one in the 1st place, it would have been a non-issue as I simply would have installed win 10 on the ssd and only been forced to wipe the ssd and not my internal memory. If I can't do that I'll stay with a broken win 10 with no more updates for now since I'm stumped and don't understand partitioning my hd to save my games as someone once suggested.

You can grab a relatively cheap external usb hard drive for around $60 and just copy to that. Programs don't generally copy back and forth nicely due to registered components and the registry. It may also be worth using macrum once you get everything re-isntalled Macrium Reflect Free

can't I simply revert back to win 8.1(original O/S before free upgrade to win 10), then re-install windows 10?

Back
Top Bottom