Windows 8 Start Screen Tiles Re-arrange Themselves

hawkeye62

Extraordinary Member
Sounds crazy, but the tiles keep re-arranging themselves. I spend time getting them arranged just the way I want and then when I return to the screen later, they have changed position.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Jim

Hi Jim,
is it possible for you to provide screenshots?

Thanks for your reply.

Yeah, next time it happens. But, not much to see. The tiles get jumbled. And the desktop icons do something a little different. I have four rows of icons on the top left side. A gap one row wide appears between the top two and bottom two rows.

Thanks, Jim

I can't think what would affect the icons that way.. Have you checked for malware? If not try this app:
https://www.malwarebytes.org/

Does it coincide with anything you may be doing on the system?

Yeah, I use Malwarebytes religiously, update daily and scan every 2-3 days.

I haven't been able to correlate with any activity, but I keep thinking that there may be some activity that is causing the problem.

Thanks, Jim

What about the software you might be running? Sometimes the odd app can have strange effects on windows.

You could also try running the system file checker. Open an admin command prompt and type:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results.

If you get corrupt files which cannot be repaired try running this command (again in admin command prompt), type:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Press enter and await results. Be patient as it can take some time.

Thanks for your continued help.

sfc reported no problems. Any reason to run DISM?

Jim

Are you ready for this? Here is what I have found. Start Google Chrome browser. Go to FedEx package tracking site. Click in the window where you enter the tracking number. Exit Google Chrome. The icons are changed! That is it. You don't even have to enter a tracking number, just click on the window.

Jim

Hi Jim,
how long ago did the issue start? Have you considered running the Reset option which will reset Windows back to default condition (will also remove third party apps too)?

Go to FedEx package tracking site. Click in the window where you enter the tracking number. Exit Google Chrome. The icons are changed! That is it. You don't even have to enter a tracking number, just click on the window.
Does it happen with just that site or any other also are any new icons added?

One other condition is necessary. The on screen keyboard must pop up. (This is just for Desktop icons, not the Start Screen Tiles.) I haven't seen the tile thing again. Maybe I just did a change and din't realize it. I haven't checked any other site yet. Will try UPS.

Jim

The exact same thing happens on the USP tracking site.

Jim
One other condition is necessary. The on screen keyboard must pop up. (This is just for Desktop icons, not the Start Screen Tiles.) I haven't seen the tile thing again. Maybe I just did a change and din't realize it. I haven't checked any other site yet. Will try UPS.

Jim

OK, it looks like any time the on screen keyboard pops up, the icons re-arrange. Google Chrome doesn't have to be running. I just have the Desktop on the screen and call up the on screen keyboard and presto, the icons re-arrange.

Go figure?

Jim

Jim can you post the make and model of your machine please. Also have ever used a registry cleaner or things of that nature?

Jim can you post the make and model of your machine please. Also have ever used a registry cleaner or things of that nature?

Yeah, it is a Lenovo Yoga 11s Haswell. I also have an Asus UX303LA that does not have this problem.

I quit using registry cleaners after getting some problems from the cleaners.

Jim

Can you remember if it's always done this or something that just started one day?

I think it just started about 3 - 4 weeks ago. I am sure it did not happen for the first several months after purchase.

Jim

I can now confirm a re-arrangement of the TILES on my UX303LA. So, I get re-arrangement of desktop icons on my Yoga 11s and re-arrangement of start screen tiles on my UX303LA!

The re-arrangement of icons on the Yoga is definitely caused by activation of the on screen keyboard. I haven't found the trigger for re-arrangement of tiles on the UX303LA.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom