Strange Microsoft Data Access Error running a database cookbook software on my desktop computer


New Member
First of all, I hope this is the correct forum for this strange error (if not, I’m sorry. I’m new to your forum). I am also brand new to Windows 7 so I don't know much about it. I came cross over from XP and consider myself pretty “XP” experienced. Windows 7 is a whole new ball game for me.
I recently bought a new desktop and Laptop with Window 7 64 bit Home premium pre-installed. I upgraded my Desktop to Window 7 Professional through Microsoft's upgrade offer. Both computers basically have the same configuration and software installed except for the Windows 7 Professional upgrade on my desktop.

My Problem
I installed "Living Cookbook" from on both my Laptop and my desktop and it ran flawlessly on my laptop. Each time I attempt to run it on my Desktop I get the following errors:

Application: Living Cookbook 3.0.34
OS Version: Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 (Windows 7)
Message: The .Net Framework Data Providers require Microsoft Data Access Components(MDAC). Please install Microsoft Data Access Components(MDAC) version 2.6 or later.
Inner Exception: Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {2206CDB2-19C1-11D1-89E0-00C04FD7A829} failed due to the following error: 80040154.
System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnectionInternal.GetObjectPool: 0/0
System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnectionInternal..ctor: 0/0
System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnectionFactory.CreateConnection: 0/0
System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreateNonPooledConnection: 0/0
System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection: 0/0
System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection: 0/0
System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.Open: 0/0
Radium.Services.xce69be84c78426ee.x84a46dc89a9c670f: 0/0
Radium.Services.x9b8b5469b1c581f7.xcd4105beda2f8929: 0/0
LivingCookbook.Services.appServiceManager.PreStart: 0/0
Radium.Services.xbd8cb1e380df8751.x12cb12b5d2cad53d: 0/0
Radium.Services.rfcSingleInstanceApplication.OnCreateMainForm: 0/0
Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.WindowsFormsApplicationBase.OnRun: 0/0
Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.WindowsFormsApplicationBase.DoApplicationModel: 0/0

I don’t think this is would be a software compatibility issue because it works on my laptop.

I contacted the software developer and they recommended the following:

This indicates that .NET needs to be repaired in Windows.
Please try the following:
1. Run this command in the cmd prompt: sfc /scannow
Wait for the scan to complete (this can take several minutes so be patient). This command will scan all protected system files and replace incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.
2. If the problem persists after you've done so try downloading and installing .NET 2.0 for 64 bit operating systems here:
Download Details - Microsoft Download Center - .NET Framework Version 2.0 Redistributable Package (x64)
scf showed everything to be OK
and trying to install .NET 2.0 says it is already installed as part of my OS.

Everything else "seems" to be working fine, including MS Access 2003.

Sorry this is so long. You are my last hope before I restore my entire system to it original factory state and lose all the long hours I spent installing my software. I really hope someone can direct me to a fix before I resort to starting over.


Excellent Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Doing research about the error and other messages, it seems that some file may be missing for your setup. If you knew which one, you might be able to get it from the laptop. Maybe someone else will have more accurate information.

Are you seeing any problem messages with Windows Update?

You might check for this message and see if you need to install the components listed. Perhaps this Microsoft site.

Please install Microsoft Data Access Components(MDAC) version 2.6 or later
I may be off base, but it seems the system is trying to obtain the file but cannot for some reason. BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service) is mentioned which is what downloads updates for Windows Updates. Perhaps it is not running or being blocked by your internet connection or some anti-virus.

If it was related to BITS, there should be some footprint in one of the following logs to indicate a failure or fatal situation. You might check the WindowsUpdate.log in the Windows directory, the ReportingEvents.log in the Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder or the CBS.log in the Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You will probably have to copy the logs to the desktop to open and read.

Probably the easiest thing to do would be to search the logs for specific terms using notepad.

Since .Net 3.5 is included with Windows 7, it is hard to check its status, but .Net 4 should also now be on your system and listed in the Programs and Features dialog. Some of those updates take quite a while.

Thanks for the suggestion. I agree somewhere over the course of setting up my new system, something got scrambled or deleted. Who knows maybe the factory shipped it with a faulty install or over the course of me trying to figuring out how to personalize Windows 7 something got screwed up.
I finally bit the bullet and restored my system to the OEM setup and proceeded to reinstall all my needed software. I am doing it much slower and methodical then I did originally. So far with 80% of my software reinstalled I haven't experienced any problems. Thanks everyone and nothing personal, but I hope I don't need your help again.

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.